SpaceMouse Movement Glitch

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

dcheming

SpaceMouse Movement Glitch

Post by dcheming »

I have a SpaceMouse Compact that I’ve been using since October of 2018, my work computer is a MSI gaming laptop, and I'm running Windows 10. I lock the laptop away in a cabinet every night for security, so all the various peripherals (mouse, keyboard, 3D mouse, DAC) get connected and disconnected each day.

I predominantly work in Rhino 7 and have been suffering from a reoccurring issue where the first time I open Rhino each day and move the 3D mouse, the camera continues to move slowly for a few seconds after the mouse has been released. This happens about 40% of the time I open Rhino. To fix this I have to unplug the 3D mouse and plug it back in to reset it to normal.

Today as I started my morning and opened Rhino 7 it happened again. This time instead of unplugging and re-plugging in the 3D mouse, I closed Rhino 7 and re-opened it, and it still tumbles upon using the 3D mouse. Out of curiosity I then opened Rhino 6 and it’s doing the exact same thing upon trying to use the 3D mouse: the camera continues to move slowly for a few seconds after the mouse has been released.

So then I tried all the 3D programs I have on my computer. Rhino 6 and 7, Keyshot 10, Zbrush 2021, MeshMixer, Inventer 2022, Houdini 18.5, and UE4.26: all of these programs the camera continues to move slowly for a few seconds after the mouse has been released. Blender 2.92 wouldn't even acknowledge the 3D mouse input at all.

Then I unplugged the 3d mouse and plugged it back in. Lo and behold, the 3D mouse now works in every single one of those programs with no issues. So what is going on here?
jwick

Re: SpaceMouse Movement Glitch

Post by jwick »

Next time this drifting happens, right click on the 3Dx systray icon and choose Calibrate. It probably does the same thing as unplugging / replugging it (save the power cycle). If that fixes it, but not permanently, it is possible to increase the "dead zone" to prevent unintended movement.
dcheming

Post by dcheming »

jwick wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:49 pm Next time this drifting happens, right click on the 3Dx systray icon and choose Calibrate. It probably does the same thing as unplugging / replugging it (save the power cycle). If that fixes it, but not permanently, it is possible to increase the "dead zone" to prevent unintended movement.
I'll give that a try next time it acts up.
dcheming

Post by dcheming »

jwick wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:49 pm Next time this drifting happens, right click on the 3Dx systray icon and choose Calibrate. It probably does the same thing as unplugging / replugging it (save the power cycle). If that fixes it, but not permanently, it is possible to increase the "dead zone" to prevent unintended movement.
This morning the movement glitch happened again. I performed the Calibrate process and that had zero effect on it. Unplugging / re-plugging is the only way to fix this issue.
Comondor

Post by Comondor »

is there a solution to the problem?