unreal 4.25 Crashes when opening viewport with 3DX plugin

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

stev_fun

unreal 4.25 Crashes when opening viewport with 3DX plugin

Post by stev_fun »

Im not sure why this happens.. any insight here?
stev_fun

Re: unreal 4.25 Crashes when opening viewport with 3DX plugin

Post by stev_fun »

Hey, This a pretty relevant topic for those working on the unreal plugin.
Any help here is appreciated.
3dx error.jpg
3dx error.jpg (31.9 KiB) Viewed 4137 times
Everytime i open a viewport unreal crashes with the plugin active. What is the reason for this?

Thanks for your time!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

stev_fun wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:08 am Everytime i open a viewport unreal crashes with the plugin active.
I think this is the very report of a crash with our plug-in.

How exactly are you "opening a viewport"?
Nuno Gomes
stev_fun

Post by stev_fun »

Hey ngomes!

Its happening when i open a new viewport via the window menu, after the editor is used for some time. If i open the viewport immediately after starting the editor, the crash does not occur.

Sometimes i choose to close the viewport to save processing while working in other applications etc. Currently my work around is to keep the viewport as a docked tab, and just bring another tab into focus. When i refocus the viewport it does not need to reinitialize (what i assume is happening).

This crash is not the end of the world, but just annoying, i was hoping there is a solution.

Any thoughts on your end?

Thanks for the quick response
stev_fun

Post by stev_fun »

Hey ngomes!

Its happening when i open a new viewport via the window menu, after the editor is used for some time. If i open the viewport immediately after starting the editor, the crash does not occur.

Sometimes i choose to close the viewport to save processing while working in other applications etc. Currently my work around is to keep the viewport as a docked tab, and just bring another tab into focus. When i refocus the viewport it does not need to reinitialize (what i assume is happening).

This crash is not the end of the world, but just annoying, i was hoping there is a solution.

Thanks for the quick response
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

stev_fun wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:59 am This crash is not the end of the world, but just annoying,
Any crash is unacceptable, in our view.
We need to reproduce this. We're seeing if we can trigger the crash but without success. We've tried leaving the editor alone for awhile, then opening viewport 2 from the "Window" menu. We've also tried keeping the SpaceMouse constantly sending data whilst opening, closes and swapping between viewports.

We're going to leave Editor up for longer and see if it will then crash. Unless, we can see what is going on, there isn't much chance to getting it sorted out.

If you can, please check if this is somehow related to the project you're working on. For example, see if the crash only happens when working on a specific project or if it occurs regardless.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

ngomes wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:35 am We need to reproduce this.
And it looks like that we can. It's just as you said, stev_fun, after a while the application will crash on a viewport change. Looks like our plugin isn't handling the "current" viewport correctly in 4.25. Thank you very much for reporting it to us. Great help!

We're working to fix it in the next release.
stev_fun

Post by stev_fun »

hey cool!

Im glad to help.

Looking forward. I do really appreciate the space mouse in unreal.

I was wondering if you have made any direction towards in camera control? once piloting the camera the mouse is not usable. Also not a bug but im nt sure of the exact limits within the unreal plugin.

Thanks again Ngomes!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

stev_fun wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:50 am I was wondering if you have made any direction towards in camera control? once piloting the camera the mouse is not usable
Not sure I follow. Camera mode is available since the very first release of the plug (and it is now the default). Check the driver's "Advanced Settings" panel for the Unreal Editor application (bring Unreal Editor to the foreground, open "3Dconnexion Properties" by double-clicking on the system tray icon and press the "Advanced Settings" panel).