Sticky 3DSMAX settings

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

rombo

Sticky 3DSMAX settings

Post by rombo »

Hi,

I thought it was time to put this in writing as I am seeing no change, maybe it's me doing something wrong:

3dsmax 3dconnexion settings are impossible to change from the default value in 3dsmax 2019 to 3dsmax 2022.
I've done a clean install of a new machine, installed 3dsmax, installed the default drivers, and the 3dsmax driver always defaults to "Target Camera" in the advanced tab in the settings.

Why? This doesn't make any sense for me.

Is there a way to make this setting sticky, so I don't have to go every 5 or 10 minutes to change it back to "Camera"? It changes even if I don't reopen max - every few minutes, or if I spend too much time on another app, the adv setttings will change to default "Target Camera" which is basically unusable when you have to navigate complex scenes.

I am losing hope regarding a solution for this, all my 5 computers have the same issue, it sound odd that I am doing the same mistake 5 times and fail to get things done properly so I can get simple sticky settings in the advanced tab.
In case no one has a solution can you please point out to the file/registry point where the default settings are stored, so I can do a hard override to them and set them the way I need them?

Thanks for your time and patience, best regards.
luping

Re: Sticky 3DSMAX settings

Post by luping »

Perhaps the solution should come from Autodesk? At least it is Autodesk that integrated 3Dconnexion 3DxWare SDK api into the 3ds Max software codebase.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

luping wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:26 am Perhaps the solution should come from Autodesk? At least it is Autodesk that integrated 3Dconnexion 3DxWare SDK api into the 3ds Max software codebase.
This is actually not true. The addin for 3dsmax (3DxStudio) does the navigation and the button mapping and was created and is maintained by 3Dconnexion.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

rombo wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:43 am Hi,

I thought it was time to put this in writing as I am seeing no change, maybe it's me doing something wrong:

3dsmax 3dconnexion settings are impossible to change from the default value in 3dsmax 2019 to 3dsmax 2022.
I've done a clean install of a new machine, installed 3dsmax, installed the default drivers, and the 3dsmax driver always defaults to "Target Camera" in the advanced tab in the settings.

Why? This doesn't make any sense for me.

Is there a way to make this setting sticky, so I don't have to go every 5 or 10 minutes to change it back to "Camera"? It changes even if I don't reopen max - every few minutes, or if I spend too much time on another app, the adv setttings will change to default "Target Camera" which is basically unusable when you have to navigate complex scenes.

I am losing hope regarding a solution for this, all my 5 computers have the same issue, it sound odd that I am doing the same mistake 5 times and fail to get things done properly so I can get simple sticky settings in the advanced tab.
In case no one has a solution can you please point out to the file/registry point where the default settings are stored, so I can do a hard override to them and set them the way I need them?

Thanks for your time and patience, best regards.
Hi rombo,

we had a bug like this, but this is supposed to be fixed since driver version 10.6.6. Can you please verify which driver version you have installed?

Thanks,
rombo

Post by rombo »

I hope this helps - everything remains the same - I can't find a way to maintain the plugin settings permanent, everytime I restart 3dsmax, the settings go back to default (Camera Target) instead of the one I prefer, Free camera. Is there a way to sort this short term, like editing the registry settings with Admin access? Or is this saved somewhere on disk, in a file that can be hand edited?
Kindly let me know, thank you!
rombo

Post by rombo »

Sorry, somehow the image post wasn't working:

try here to see the driver version:

https://i.imgur.com/TAqE9sx.png
rombo

Post by rombo »

Hi, is there any update - no sticky settings even after latest version update - what can go wrong, where can I find help if not here?