Win7/Spacemouse Compact: Questions about the light, disassembly,

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Dreamer2021

Win7/Spacemouse Compact: Questions about the light, disassembly,

Post by Dreamer2021 »

This light is incredibly offensively bright. So much glare. Plus its blue, the worst color you could possibly have chosen. Blue is a visual stimulant that interferes with our ability to sleep properly. (That's why the sky is not blue when the sun is setting.) So can we turn this light off or change the color?

And how does one open up this thing to clean it or service it? Nothing lasts forever!

I find the Win7 interface incredibly unintuitive and lacking. It doesn't do what you would presume it would do at all. Even its settings are hopelessly uninformative. Are there videos that actually show how to manipulate an image? Is there other software that some of you have found that works better?

I'm using X-Mouse to help with my Kensington Trackball (also a product with horrible driver design that is better not used). Do you think X-Mouse might interfere or change some of the Spacemouse Compact's functions? Can I use X-Mouse to control the Spacemouse Compact?

This brings up the interesting question: Is most of a product's design that is a computer peripheral more involved with hardware or software? Which takes more effort on the part of the manufacturer?
aalsalihi

Re: Win7/Spacemouse Compact: Questions about the light, disassembly,

Post by aalsalihi »

Hi Dreamer2021,

In terms of the LED's on the device, you can either turn them ON/OFF. To do that, you would need to do the following:
- In the bottom right corner on your screen where the time and day showing, click on the up arrow (^) to show the system tray
- In the System Tray, you should see a black icon for our driver. Right click on the black icon
- You should see an option called LEDs Active, you can either check it or uncheck it which control the LED on the device.

Other devices won't affect or impact our devices in terms of functions and performance so there shouldn't be any issues using another device while using our SpaceMouse. In terms of other devices controlling the SpaceMouse that won't be possible as it has different implementation and the SpaceMouse is not a Universal Global device so it will only be interacted with devices from 3Dconnexion such as the Universal Receiver etc.

You can use any mouse with our SpaceMouse to do a simultaneous work by controlling the cursor with your mouse and navigating in 3D with our device.

Regards,
Abdul. A
Dreamer2021

Post by Dreamer2021 »

It seems utterly impossible today in 2021 to ask more than 1 or 2 questions and expect them to be answered.

I asked you about the light and that was answered - thank you.

I asked "Do you think X-Mouse might interfere or change some of the Spacemouse Compact's functions?" and that was answered - thank you.

All these were ignored. Do you think we don't notice this? I can't believe you can't answer most of these questions.

Cleaning/stickiness?
Are there videos that actually show how to manipulate an image?
Is there other software that some of you have found that works better?
Can I use X-Mouse to control the Spacemouse Compact?
Is most of a product's design that is a computer peripheral more involved with hardware or software?
Which takes more effort on the part of the manufacturer?
aalsalihi

Post by aalsalihi »

Hi Dreamer2021,

Cleaning/stickiness? There shouldn't be an issues in terms of coating and you don't need to clean the surface with anything!
Are there videos that actually show how to manipulate an image? We don't have a video showing how to manipulate an image but you can search in Youtube as there's a lot of videos showing how our devices function. If the application is supported then the device should function according to its supported features, check our supported software's here https://3dconnexion.com/us/supported-software/
Is there other software that some of you have found that works better? There're a lot of applications that we support in which we either create a plugin or help add the support for our driver within the software's. if the software is supported then the functionality will be the same (you can check our supported software's in the link above)
Can I use X-Mouse to control the Spacemouse Compact? Answered in the previous reply
Is most of a product's design that is a computer peripheral more involved with hardware or software? both! you would need a software that support the operating system and a hardware that can function with the implemented software.
Which takes more effort on the part of the manufacturer? not sure!

Regards,
Abdul. A
Dreamer2021

Post by Dreamer2021 »

Thank you for your answers. Very helpful.

> There shouldn't be an issues in terms of coating and you don't need to clean the surface with anything!

Yes of course there shouldn't be. But there is. And many have posted about it. Mine is sticky. So has anyone found a cleaning solution or solvent that fixes this? The rubber perhaps is reacting chemically to either something in the air or something it was wiped with. I've tried water but didn't want to try anything else in case it damaged the rubber. Suggestions anyone?
aalsalihi

Post by aalsalihi »

Hi Dreamer2021,

Please contact our Technical Support Team if you have this issue as I'm assuming you have an old device. To send a Technical Case here https://3dconnexion.com/us/support-request/ to contact via phone https://3dconnexion.com/us/support/#

Regards,
Abdul. A