maya 2022

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Boban

maya 2022

Post by Boban »

Space navigator constantly losing its rotation focus. When I restart Maya I can again rotate around selection, but after some time of work (bevel, extrude, etc) focus around selection is suddenly lost again, and I need to restart Maya again. It's annoying and it's breaking my workflow hard. Same with space mouse, and SpacePilot Pro although officially not supported anymore it still works with the latest drivers.

I have the latest driver 10.7.4.3350

Same with older drivers, but I decided to report this annoyment now.
Attachments
Screenshot_22.png
Screenshot_22.png (15.02 KiB) Viewed 5462 times
Screenshot_20.png
Screenshot_20.png (18.98 KiB) Viewed 5462 times
Janoshx

Re: maya 2022

Post by Janoshx »

Exactly same happens with my setup.

I can "steer" my scene with 3d mouse quite well but this makes the steering feel really heavy since you have to compensate the offset rotation by yourself...

Fixing this would really improve the 3D mouse user experience to proper level.
aalsalihi

Post by aalsalihi »

Hi Janoshx,

When you try to navigate around an object it normally adjust the center rotation if you zooming in/out of the part/assembly etc
Maybe that's what you referring too from the explanation.

I would recommend contacting our Technical Support Team to send a short video and log files to reproduce this on our end. You can create a case by clicking on this link https://3dconnexion.com/us/support-request/ or you can call https://3dconnexion.com/us/support/#

Regards,
Abdul. A
Janoshx

Post by Janoshx »

Hi

The problem is that if you open maya and create few objects, select them one by one and navigate with 3D mouse it surely does work for a while.

After you have been using maya for maybe 15 minutes and you have more complext model the 3D mouse rotation center is not anymore either the currently selected object or its sub component like it should be and was in the beginning. So 3D mouse somehow stops using selected item as the rotation center.

When this happens you can of course still navigate in the scene with 3d mouse but it is very tedious and feels super heavy since after selected object is not used as rotation center, the user has to compensate the rotation offset in his mind and now has to also use movements just to rotate around the object. An experienced and seasoned 3D mouse user surely can do this pretty much automatically but it is not how this device is supposed to work.

the rotation center point has to be the selected object center or pivot, i dont know which one you use, for any fluent movement with 3d mouse.

When this bug appears and if you use mouse and keyboard navigation the centerpoint for mouse movements is absolutely correct after you press f (focus) key.

When this bug appears pressing F key or "FIT" key in 3d mouse surely brings the selected object to center just like F key with mouse and keyboard but it does not fix the rotation center for 3D mouse. The only way to fix this is to quit maya and restart and then it works for a while and gets broken again.

I have complained about this earlier for other maya versions.
https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic ... 382#p78527
Boban

Post by Boban »

Janoshx is exactly like that. Great explanation, and what is the worse thing at least with me Is that while working I don't immediately notice at all the focus is broken but what I notice is that all of a sudden my workflow become harder to work, and only after a while I get it oh... my god this S... again lost its focus and I need to restart Maya again and again, in an 8 hrs work I spent at least half an hour on Maya restarting because of this daily.

Please fix this