3DS max radial menu pop up delay

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Aljosa

3DS max radial menu pop up delay

Post by Aljosa »

Hi,

I've started noticing a half to a second delay when trying to bring up my radial menus in 3ds max.

It was absolutely flawless and quick on 3ds max 19, started noticing delays on 21 and now in 22 as well.

I've recently upgraded my workstation so this is a fresh install, it's also a beast of a machine and the scene I'm currently working on is not heavy at all.

What's happening, it's extremely disruptive as it prevents a seamless workflow as I always have to pause and wait for the radial menu to appear after a 0.5-1 sec delay.

Anyone have a fix for this?
sobo

Re: 3DS max radial menu pop up delay

Post by sobo »

i have the same problem~ :roll:
jeffrey

Post by jeffrey »

I think this is a feature - I noticed it after updating the driver to the newest version. I use CATIA V6, but the radial popup delay is the same across all applications. I don't see a changeable setting in the driver that controls this behavior.

I have also noticed a stuttering/slow mouse pointer. It behaves as if the system is heavily loaded and the mouse pointer stutters as you move it across the screen. But it is not loaded at all and my regular mouse can drive the pointer just fine.

I'm going to try downgrading the driver to see if that fixes the problems.

I have the spacemouse pro and the wireless CADmouse.
jeffrey

Post by jeffrey »

reverting to driver 10.7.4 eliminated the pop-up delay
bafreeman

Post by bafreeman »

I'm experiencing this problem as well. My delay is almost 1 full second using Autocad for Architecture 2021 and the latest version of Sketchup. It's maddeningly frustrating, I've found myself reaching for the keyboard again.

#Autocad2021
#Sketchup (latest)
Aljosa

Post by Aljosa »

....guys, come on now...a delay in response is not a "feature" - this is an efficiency tool not a smartphone app!!!

Please revert back ASAP or at least give us the option to turn it off. It's incredibly annoying and slows down my workflow in 3DS max to the point that I'm now defaulting back to keyboard for a lot of shortcuts.

This is an idea that may "look" good but performs awful - that's not why we're buying this expensive hardware for, please revert it or give us the option to go back to instant.

p.s. if someone here more tech and code-wise could find some sort of a workaround by editing the drivers manually or something that would be amazing, I can't imagine it's a very big thing to toggle it off!
Aljosa

Post by Aljosa »

jeffrey wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:01 am reverting to driver 10.7.4 eliminated the pop-up delay
Do you know where I can get the driver to revert back to? Hopefully it will still work with max 2022, but the delay is driving me nuts so I'll take it even if it's not as optimized.
thanks
Aljosa

Post by Aljosa »

Ok so for anyone still wrestling with this:

I wrote to support earlier and they had me follow these steps:

https://3dconnexion.com/uk/support/faq/ ... r-windows/

After the clean re-install of drivers the thing is working perfectly smooth again now with the latest drivers!

I'd have reinstalled drivers myself but the mind-boggling thing is that this was a new, clean install only a couple of a weeks ago on brand new machines so never thought this could go wrong.