SpaceNavigator speed settings not working

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

David.P

Re: SpaceNavigator speed settings not working

Post by David.P »

For the last few days my SpaceNavigator has been working fine with the above driver version 3DxWare64_v10-7-4_r3350. Then yesterday, with the PC shut down, I plugged SpaceNavigator into a different USB port.

Upon booting up today, SpaceNavigator is no longer detected at all (the LEDs remain off, no matter which USB port I use). I fully uninstalled the drivers again and then reinstalled version 10-7-4_r3350, but the SpaceNavigator is still not recognized.

I would also love to create the log files:
jwick wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:21 pm Right click on the 3Dx systray icon->Check Write Logfile.
Restart the driver (Start Menu).
While the driver is running, hold down the keyboard shift key and right click on the 3Dx systray icon->Run Diagnostics.
This will bring up the 3Dconnexion Diagnostic Tool window.
Check Include registry entries and Include dmp files.
Click on Collect System Information.
...but after enabling the respective option on the tray icon and restarting the driver, I am only presented with the message below, which essentially gives me a choice between "Cancel" and "Discard"!

:?: :roll:

--
PS: Apparently there is no way to edit one's forum posts, therefore @Moderator, please delete the above double post.

PPS: After I just plugged the SpaceNavigator into my other laptop, it was detected and did light up there. Then I plugged it back into my main PC, and now it's recognized and works here too again. How is that possible, does SpaceNavigator have an internal memory that also can crash, or something?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi David.P,

That notification is just a warning that your driver may run slow while it is logging information. In this case, that's fine. We want the information. You should turn logging off after running the Diagnostic utility.

You can also run the diagnostic utility manually, if your driver doesn't start.
Just run %programfiles%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore\3DxDiag\3DxDiag.bat

It will be interesting to find out what is going on with your machine. I do have some machines where the USB ports just don't work well. I recall hearing about issues with USB 3.0 ports.
xring

Post by xring »

daxliniere wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:34 pm Hi Jim,
I'm dropping in to say that I, too, am having problems with the latest drivers. Fusion 360 isn't following the speed control and the 3Dconnection control panel does nothing when I click on Advanced Settings. A few moments after trying to adjust this, the 3Dc program completely crashed.

After re-loading it, the Adv Settings page now opens as expected.

I, too, can confirm that the main Speed slider gets reset.

While I'm here, any idea why every second time I connect this device, the calibration is our of whack and it sends my viewport spinning off into the distance? I unplug and re-plug and it works perfectly.

All the best,
Dax.
Same issue with Fusion 360. I uninstalled the latest driver and reinstalled the previous driver and it works as before.
Thanks
Bill
David.P

Post by David.P »

Jim, in my case the SpaceNavigator now works for days without any problems, and then on some days it doesn't work at all (doesn't react and LEDs stay off).

I will send you the diagnostic data via PN.
David.P

Post by David.P »

PS: I even bought a SpaceTraveler specifically to check whether there might be a hardware defect in my SpaceNavigator. Unfortunately, I overlooked the fact that the SpaceTraveler only works with very old drivers.
David.P

Post by David.P »

O.k. so I have now tried again to remove all traces of 3DX software from my computer. Then I installed the ancient driver version v3-7-22 of some 12 years ago, really only to try out the SpaceTraveler.

Then I found out that while the SpaceTraveler did not work (it had worked on my laptop, though), the SpaceNavigator suddenly did work with that old driver, and even completely fine in Creo View -- although the installer did not even seem to have an option for a Creo plugin at all.

Anyway, the most important point for now is that I can work in Creo View. Nevertheless, it would of course be very welcome if the actual cause of the problem could be found, for example by inspecting my log files.
David.P

Post by David.P »

PS: I could only install that driver by granting it Trusted Installer rights. With Administrator rights only, the installer kept crashing.
David.P

Post by David.P »

O.k. so after unplugging and re-plugging and rerouting a few times and restarting the driver, the SpaceTraveler now works alternatively to the SpaceNavigator on my PC, using that ancient driver mentioned above.
David.P

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

after I (reportedly) had major difficulties with the supposedly last driver for the old SpaceNavigator (driver version 10-8-3_r3389), as that version simply would not install, I have now downloaded and installed the latest driver in version v10-8-10_r3503.

In fact, here it is stated that the most recent driver is actually still compatible with SpaceNavigator.

Indeed, the SpaceNavigator works great for me in SketchUp and Creo with the latest drivers.