SpaceNavigator speed settings not working

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

David.P

SpaceNavigator speed settings not working

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

after installing the latest drivers (3DxWare64_v10-8-2_r3385), I can no longer adjust the sensitivity of the SpaceNavigator in the control panel. To be more precise, no matter which speed I set the slider to, the speed always remains the same. Speed also doesn't change if I move the individual sliders in the advanced settings.

What could be the reason for this, or is it possible to set the speed manually in an ini-file?

Thanks for help!
David.P

Re: SpaceNavigator speed settings not working

Post by David.P »

PS: the above happens for me currently with Trimble SketchUp and PTC Creo View.

The other SpaceNavigator settings like Horizon, Zoom Direction etc. (i.e. for SketchUp) are working, so the control panel is not completely broken -- only concerning the speed settings
aalsalihi

Post by aalsalihi »

Hi David.P,

Is this happening with our current driver 10.8.2?
Have you clearing the configurations for our driver by following this FAQ here https://3dconnexion.com/us/support/faq/ ... n-windows/

If its still an issue then we would need to get a Diagnostic folder in which you would need to send it to us by contacting our Technical Support via email or phone here https://3dconnexion.com/us/support/

Regards,
Abdul. A
David.P

Post by David.P »

Thanks Abdul for your instructions, which I have followed.

However, the behavior of the SpaceNavigator is unchanged. I noticed that the setting for the speed slider are not saved: the slider is back in the center position every time the control panel is opened.

As I can see from changes happening in the config file after moving the speed slider, while the position of the slider is stored in the XML file %APPDATA%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\CreoView.xml (in the line <OverallScale>X.XX</OverallScale>) -- this value it is not respected by the driver or by SpaceNavigator, respectively.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<AppCfg xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" Default="false" CfgFormatVersion="1.3" ThisFileVersion="1.6">
  <AppInfo>
    <Signature>
      <Name>CreoView</Name>
    </Signature>
    <Options />
  </AppInfo>
  <CfgProperties>
    <ID>ID_CreoView</ID>
    <Name>CreoView</Name>
    <InheritsFromID>ID_CreoView</InheritsFromID>
  </CfgProperties>
  <Settings>
    <OverallScale>0.20</OverallScale>
  </Settings>
  <AuthorInfo>
    <DriverVersion>17.8.2.18845</DriverVersion>
    <LastChange>
      <Tool>3DxSmartUI.exe</Tool>
      <Version>1.2.21272.18844</Version>
      <Date>10/12/2021 4:19:57 PM UTC</Date>
      <User>HK</User>
    </LastChange>
  </AuthorInfo>
</AppCfg>
AnthT

Post by AnthT »

I'm having the same issue, but also, the driver just keeps crashing
AnthT

Post by AnthT »

I'm also suffering from this issue.
Since installing the update yesterday, the driver crashes on startup, when I restart it, I then can't save any configuration changes. Adjusting the sliders makes no difference in any application.
I've tried reinstalling the software, no change :(

Spacemouse wireless, windows 10, 3Dexperience (CATIA v6)
jwick

Post by jwick »

AnthT,

Your problem may be an issue with the older wireless receiver. You may have to use it with the USB cable for a short while. See this post.
David.P

Post by David.P »

I have now installed the ancient driver 3DxWare64_v10-4-3_r2328 -- and there, the speed settings work!

Am I missing out of anything using that old driver?

I'm only using the SpaceNavigator for Creo View and SketchUp. In the latter unfortunately, that driver doesn't seem to work.
David.P

Post by David.P »

PS: Successively updated my way up to the second latest driver 3DxWare64_v10-6-4_r3119.

Speed slider still works in Creo View.

SketchUp still does not do anything.

I'm reluctant to upgrade to the latest driver 3DxWare64_v10-8-2_r3385 because it might break that speed slider again.

So how do I get SketchUp (SU 2021 that is) to work again with SpaceNavigator?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi David.P,

If possible, I'd at least try to use 10.7.4.

The only problem we know of with 10.8.2 is a problem with the very old wireless dongle. Everything should work fine with the SpaceNavigator. I would have liked to diagnose your problem more.

Generally upgrades only work well in one direction (up). If you go back and forth between new and old installations, you could end up with some incompatible device drivers and/or user cfg files. They are just files, but you don't know where they are. The installers take care of finding them. But in some cases, Windows doesn't delete files we tell it to - system level components in particular ("it's for your protection" - and they don't want their OS to crash). Still I don't know of a way of causing a problem - thus why I would have liked to diagnose it more.

By going back so far, you probably don't have support for some new applications. Applications constantly release new updates. We have to constantly release new updates to our software/plugins to go with their changes. It's a full-time job.

Jim
daxliniere

Post by daxliniere »

Hi Jim,
I'm dropping in to say that I, too, am having problems with the latest drivers. Fusion 360 isn't following the speed control and the 3Dconnection control panel does nothing when I click on Advanced Settings. A few moments after trying to adjust this, the 3Dc program completely crashed.

After re-loading it, the Adv Settings page now opens as expected.

I, too, can confirm that the main Speed slider gets reset.

While I'm here, any idea why every second time I connect this device, the calibration is our of whack and it sends my viewport spinning off into the distance? I unplug and re-plug and it works perfectly.

All the best,
Dax.
David.P

Post by David.P »

Thank you Jim.

SO I went and installed 10.7.4 now (10.8.2 still won't install but always roll back and fail).

However, Sketchup still would not work with v10.7.4 and also not with v10.8.2 (3DxSketchUp64.msi v10.8.2 did install, independently from 3DxWinCore).

Oddly enough now, a combination of 3DxWinCore64.msi v10.7.4 and 3DxSketchUp64.msi v10.6.4 did the trick, and now SpaceNavigator works perfectly both in Creo View and in SketchUp.

I hope these reports helps you guys making the driver even more robust at some stage...

Best regards
David
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi David.P,

Could you collect some system info for me on your 3DxWare installation?

Right click on the 3Dx systray icon->Check Write Logfile.

Restart the driver (Start Menu).

While the driver is running, hold down the keyboard shift key and right click on the 3Dx systray icon->Run Diagnostics.
This will bring up the 3Dconnexion Diagnostic Tool window.
Check Include registry entries and Include dmp files.
Click on Collect System Information.
It takes a while, but will eventually open an Explorer window to a dir with a large zip file.
Could you send that file to me? You may have to PM me a dropbox/similar link.

Thanks,
Jim
David.P

Post by David.P »

Will do asap Jim.
David.P

Post by David.P »

I would also love to create the log files,

For the last few days my SpaceNavigator has been working fine with the above driver version 3DxWare64_v10-7-4_r3350. Then yesterday, with the PC shut down, I plugged SpaceNavigator into a different USB port.

Upon booting up today, SpaceNavigator is no longer detected at all (the LEDs remain off, no matter which USB port I use). I fully uninstalled the drivers again and then reinstalled version 10-7-4_r3350, but the SpaceNavigator is still not recognized.

I would also love to create the log files:
jwick wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:21 pm Right click on the 3Dx systray icon->Check Write Logfile.
Restart the driver (Start Menu).
While the driver is running, hold down the keyboard shift key and right click on the 3Dx systray icon->Run Diagnostics.
This will bring up the 3Dconnexion Diagnostic Tool window.
Check Include registry entries and Include dmp files.
Click on Collect System Information.
...but after enabling the respective option on the tray icon and restarting the driver, I am only presented with the message below, which essentially gives me a choice between "Cancel" and "Discard"!