Any Chance of Seeing a New GUI Editor for Emulation

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

archiebald

Any Chance of Seeing a New GUI Editor for Emulation

Post by archiebald »

A rare poster here but I have owned a SpaceMouse for about 4 years now, mainly used for Inventor but I'd like to expand its use to non-CAD applications such as video and image editing as well as games. I have several questions on customizing;

1. As I understand it the only way to set up an emulation of keystrokes is by manually creating / editing an XML file. It seems that many years ago there may have been a GUI editor specifically for this, but it was withdrawn and never replaced. Then I saw a message here recently (can't find it now) with a vague comment that something might be "coming soon". Can this be confirmed please?

2 I am about to embark on making a custom profile, but one major question. If I emulate a key stroke and tie it to an axis, do I get a pure digital on/off output or is the a simulated analog output using PWM or similar?

3. Without creating some driver software (which I wouldn't be able to do anyway), is there any way to emulate movements of a standard 2D mouse plus wheel.

Apologies if this has been asked before, did some searching but couldn't find a clear answer.
jwick

Re: Any Chance of Seeing a New GUI Editor for Emulation

Post by jwick »

archiebald wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:57 pm A rare poster here but I have owned a SpaceMouse for about 4 years now, mainly used for Inventor but I'd like to expand its use to non-CAD applications such as video and image editing as well as games. I have several questions on customizing;

1. As I understand it the only way to set up an emulation of keystrokes is by manually creating / editing an XML file. It seems that many years ago there may have been a GUI editor specifically for this, but it was withdrawn and never replaced. Then I saw a message here recently (can't find it now) with a vague comment that something might be "coming soon". Can this be confirmed please?
I don't know of any plans to add back the GUI for keystrokes on axes. The XML is still there and still works AFAIK. It doesn't get tested. It could rust away.
2. I am about to embark on making a custom profile, but one major question. If I emulate a key stroke and tie it to an axis, do I get a pure digital on/off output or is the a simulated analog output using PWM or similar?
It does PWM, but there are options. And there is an extension mechanism where you can make it do anything you want.
3. Without creating some driver software (which I wouldn't be able to do anyway), is there any way to emulate movements of a standard 2D mouse plus wheel.
Thread about switching to/fro 2D/3D modes But you can also have 2D modes just for any single application. By default, all non-3D applications have a mousewheel assigned for scrolling. You could also assign Mouse X/Y.
Apologies if this has been asked before, did some searching but couldn't find a clear answer.
It's not very clear.
archiebald

Re: Any Chance of Seeing a New GUI Editor for Emulation

Post by archiebald »

Thanks so much, appreciate the almost instantaneous reply!!