Driver 10.8.4 - Unreal 4.27.2 - SpaceMouse Enterprise Unresponsive

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

peterbowenpm

Driver 10.8.4 - Unreal 4.27.2 - SpaceMouse Enterprise Unresponsive

Post by peterbowenpm »

Hello

Just updated to Driver 10.8.4

In the release notes this statement:
• Fix: [WIN-933] Plugin crashes Unreal Editor in Film or Cinematic projects

Have to report though that when opening new and existing projects in Unreal 4.27.2 with the Film, Television and Live Events template, I am getting no response from my SpaceMouse Enterprise. The project does not crash, but the SpaceMouse Enterprise is unresponsive.

Other template new and existing projects - the SpaceMouse Enterprise works correctly.

Regards

Peter
ngomes

Re: Driver 10.8.4 - Unreal 4.27.2 - SpaceMouse Enterprise Unresponsive

Post by ngomes »

peterbowenpm wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:36 am Have to report though that when opening new and existing projects in Unreal 4.27.2 with the Film, Television and Live Events template, I am getting no response from my SpaceMouse Enterprise. The project does not crash, but the SpaceMouse Enterprise is unresponsive.
That's the expected behaviour. There is no support for "Film, Television and Live Events" projects.
peterbowenpm

Post by peterbowenpm »

in the immortal words of 'Weird Al' Yankovic - You're close, but no cigar!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

peterbowenpm wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:48 am in the immortal words of 'Weird Al' Yankovic - You're close, but no cigar!
It was particularly frustrating, yes. The viewport classes can't be controlled like those used in the other projects and we did not find an alternative solution.

We're currently stuck.
RonaldNunez

Post by RonaldNunez »

I also faced the same problem with my film project.
slavensb

Post by slavensb »

Hi, has there been any progress made on this? My company bought 3 Spacemouse (2x Enterprise and 1x Pro) for use in our Unreal Engine projects, however we almost exclusively use the Film/Video & Live Events templates, as we are a virtual production company. Are we just SOL on using Spacemouse products in UE?
slavensb

Post by slavensb »

ngomes wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:52 am It was particularly frustrating, yes. The viewport classes can't be controlled like those used in the other projects and we did not find an alternative solution.

We're currently stuck.
Hi, Has there been any headway on a solution for this in the last ~8 months? My company just bought three Spacemouse products (2x Enterprise and 1x Pro) for use in Unreal Engine 5 (we're using 5.0.3). As we are a virtual production studio, we almost exclusively use "Film/Video & Live Events" templates for our projects.

I spent an hour last night troubleshooting why the UE viewport wasn't responding to the controller cap despite the plugin being properly installed and enabled (buttons do work, just no response from the cap), when I finally stumbled upon this forum post. I confirmed it was this exact issue by opening a UE5 project that didn't use one of those templates and the cap "just works".

Any insight into plans to fix this issue would be much appreciated, thanks!
wendysarrett

Post by wendysarrett »

Yep....I just tried it and you all are right....If I start in a game it works perfectly....however, most of my projects start in cinematic mode. This issue definitely needs to be corrected as many users expect to use their mouse with cinematic projects. I can't believe the navigation on the two modes is so different?! Perhaps work with Epic to resolve this but it is definitely a show stopper for many users.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

wendysarrett wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:40 pm This issue definitely needs to be corrected as many users expect to use their mouse with cinematic projects. I can't believe the navigation on the two modes is so different?!
It is very different, yes. We have not been able to find a way to support this template.
Nuno Gomes
wendysarrett

Post by wendysarrett »

Interesting.....I have to read up on these differences. Obviously their use cases are different as a game is compiled to an executable and a cinematic is rendered usually as a image sequence...I think they may allow mov output but that's what how people usually do it.
slavensb

Post by slavensb »

ngomes wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:18 am
wendysarrett wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:40 pm This issue definitely needs to be corrected as many users expect to use their mouse with cinematic projects. I can't believe the navigation on the two modes is so different?!
It is very different, yes. We have not been able to find a way to support this template.
Is it possible that someone at Epic Games would be able to help you find a way? Epic is definitely been shifting focus for Unreal Engine towards Virtual Production. While VProd may never surpass game development as the engine's main purpose, 3Dconnexion will be losing out on an ever-growing share of the market in regards to Unreal users without a fix.

On non-Film/TV-Template projects though I've thoroughly enjoyed the spacemouse so far!
tofdesign

Post by tofdesign »

ARRRRRRGH
Well, drats.
I work exclusively in Cinematic and purchased the spacemouse enterprise just for this purpose......
Will continue to check back to see if there is any helpful work arounds.......
slavensb

Post by slavensb »

There is a 3rd party plugin in the UE Marketplace, but I haven't tried it. The developer told me it might work but they're not sure
Velina

Post by Velina »

My SpaceMouse Enterprise stopped working this morning. I can use the regular mouse when it is unplugged from the other one. I updated to driver 10.8.8 and it still remains unresponsive. It turns on, but that's it. Waiting for support to get back to me.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Support for projects based on the "Film, Television and Live Events" template was added to v. 10.8.9 of 3DxWare 10.

The software can be downloaded from here.