Keyboard ribbon missing

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Fridtjof85

Keyboard ribbon missing

Post by Fridtjof85 »

Does anyone know how to get the keyboard ribbon for the 3dconnexion keyboard back on screen? The box is ticked in the settings but its still gone...

The computer is brand new and upgraded to Win11 pro, and this worked fine for the first three days...
luping

Re: Keyboard ribbon missing

Post by luping »

You mean the 'Always show On-Screen Display' option in the 3Dconnexion Settings panel's buttons assignment pop-up window? Please add some sort of screenshot to your reply for easy understanding...
Fridtjof85

Post by Fridtjof85 »

Skjermbilde 2021-12-20 075845.jpg
Skjermbilde 2021-12-20 075845.jpg (68.35 KiB) Viewed 20369 times
Box is ticked, ribbon is gone. Got a reply from support describing how to do a clean reinstall as well. That worked for five minutes before it disappeared again.
luping

Post by luping »

I don't know why IObit Advanced SystemCare, IObit Uninstaller, IObit Smart Defrag is running actively in the background...are you worried about operating system junk and file fragmentation?
luping

Post by luping »

I should use 'are' instead of 'is', even though the software itself is uncountable.
The other application on the system tray region I see may be IObit Registry Cleaner. I just don't know why they are all running actively in the background...
Fridtjof85

Post by Fridtjof85 »

No they ain't running, I just have the icons on the taskbar. But yes; Windows has a remarkable ability to produce its own crap and never clean up after itself (in addition to a whole lot of other programs that seem to have that ability as well), and it has been that way since Windows 95. Hence the cleanup apps.

If I had the choice, this computer would run on the most minimalistic and pragmatic Linux build possible for my application. But I have to do things the way everybody else does, so I just have to find ways to cope with it...
jwick

Post by jwick »

When the "Keyboard ribbon" is missing, is 3DxVirtualLCD.exe still running in the task mgr?
mec_surf

Post by mec_surf »

I ran into a disappearing on screen display / ribbon of the buttons that no checking and unchecking of boxes would fix.

I eventually found that deleting ALL of the contents of ~\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion (wiping out all of the preferences for the 3DConnexion apps in my account(?)) cured all of the weird / erratic disappearing behavior that I was seeing.