Windows 11

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

LinaClark

Windows 11

Post by LinaClark »

Need some advice on whether it makes sense to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11? If I don't need my computer for gaming.
kaidenh

Re: Windows 11

Post by kaidenh »

I did. Had some weird, temperamental SM behavior since I did.
Kaiden :)
luping

Post by luping »

You need to ask this question to yourself.
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

I upgraded (as in, didn't install from scratch - but my Win 10 install was fairly fresh) this month, and then went Insider Dev Channel, as it looked like a lot of the new activity was bug fixes. Here are a few quick observations of the experience so far:
  • No issues for me, but also no noticeable productivity gains, either.
  • Bootup seems a bit quicker.
  • Not a huge difference in the interface; rounder and "cleaner", though I did find a registry workaround to restore my File Explorer context menu.
  • I'm mostly using FancyZones to manage my window snapping, due to my 5120x2160 UW monitor; I use Windows 11 Snap Layouts a few times a day - that feature is nice, when needed. I'm usually using a 2x3 layout, and Snap Layouts are only available in up to 1x3 or 2x2, as of this post.
  • No perceived differences in any of my applications (Creo Parametric, Altium Designer, CorelDRAW, MS Office, web browsing, VPN), nor in 3DConnexion HW/SW behavior.
Michael Hoopes
luping

Post by luping »

mhoopes wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:02 pm I upgraded (as in, didn't install from scratch - but my Win 10 install was fairly fresh) this month, and then went Insider Dev Channel, as it looked like a lot of the new activity was bug fixes. Here are a few quick observations of the experience so far:
  • No issues for me, but also no noticeable productivity gains, either.
  • Bootup seems a bit quicker.
  • Not a huge difference in the interface; rounder and "cleaner", though I did find a registry workaround to restore my File Explorer context menu.
  • I'm mostly using FancyZones to manage my window snapping, due to my 5120x2160 UW monitor; I use Windows 11 Snap Layouts a few times a day - that feature is nice, when needed. I'm usually using a 2x3 layout, and Snap Layouts are only available in up to 1x3 or 2x2, as of this post.
  • No perceived differences in any of my applications (Creo Parametric, Altium Designer, CorelDRAW, MS Office, web browsing, VPN), nor in 3DConnexion HW/SW behavior.
How can you afford to use Creo Parametric, Altium Designer, CorelDRAW, MS Office at the same time? Does your employer invested all these software licences for you? Altium Designer costs at least US $7200 per licence, PTC Creo starts at least US $2550 per seat per year, CorelDRAW business licence costs more than US $1,000, MS Office business subscription costs more than US $100 per year.
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

I wear a few hats at work. That’s about right on the Creo costs, but Altium Designer maintenance is about 17% of the new license cost, so not near that much per seat.
Michael Hoopes