Windows 10 using 10.8.4 driver, System tray, doesn't have option to disable LED

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

geekrelief

Windows 10 using 10.8.4 driver, System tray, doesn't have option to disable LED

Post by geekrelief »

Apologies if this is a repost cause I'm not seeing it when I refresh.

I installed the latest Windows driver 10.8.4, and I'm trying to disable the LED, but I don't see an option when right clicking on the system tray icon.

mhoopes

Re: Windows 10 using 10.8.4 driver, System tray, doesn't have option to disable LED

Post by mhoopes »

I have the converse issue - I turned my LEDs off in an earlier version. Is there a workaround?
Michael Hoopes
pball

Re: Windows 10 using 10.8.4 driver, System tray, doesn't have option to disable LED

Post by pball »

If you go and edit the Global.xml file you can change the led state.

C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg

<LEDsEnabled>false</LEDsEnabled>

This should be an entry in the <Settings> area of the xml file, if it doesn't exist you should be able to add it. The led changed state as soon as I saved this file.
geekrelief

Post by geekrelief »

Thank you! Editing Globals.xml worked for me!
troyo

Post by troyo »

This did not work when the wireless Spacemouse is wired.

Maybe I got the xml file edit incorrect....Can you screenshot edit?

Also, will a future driver update include this option in the right click system tray?
geekrelief

Post by geekrelief »

Image One issue I ran into was that if toggled the value too quickly the file wouldn't save properly. A backup file is made in a 'bak' folder. I forget how I resolved it, but maybe try replugging the connection or restarting?
jwick

Post by jwick »

If you make an XML syntax error manually editing that file, the driver will move it to the bak dir. You can fix it there and move it back to the parent directory. Or just continue on without it, but all your previous changes will be lost.
troyo

Post by troyo »

Will this be fixed in future driver updates?
nlewis

Post by nlewis »

Thanks for this! I wrote my own little program to turn the LED on/off but 3DxWare kept turning it back on.
jwick

Post by jwick »

nlewis,

To get the driver to stop turning it on (or off) when it starts, you have the edit the XML file.
nlewis

Post by nlewis »

jwick wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:00 pm nlewis,

To get the driver to stop turning it on (or off) when it starts, you have the edit the XML file.
I did, it works great now. I can retire my program. :) It also wasn't just turning it on when it started, it seemed to apply it when starting a new program (e.g. Fusion 360) too.
AndreLoco

Post by AndreLoco »

Hi, I am new and proud owner of SME.
I was trying to turn LED ring with your instructions but unfortunately without luck. I got no change after editing CFG file.
I will appreciate any help :) I'm using 10.8.4 driver on Windows.

By the way, any chance to assign button to toggle LED?

Cheers!
jwick

Post by jwick »

AndreLoco,

What cfg file did you edit, and what change did you make?

Unfortunately there is not a pre-built function to toggle the LEDs, though I like the idea. Since it is a file change, you can run a script to change the file setting. Writing scripts is not a simple exercise without prior experience.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Thank you all so much, that blue light was driving me crazy.

Summary of steps:

1. Open the Global.xml file in a text editor. On Windows, this file is in C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\. Because AppData is a hidden folder, you won't see it unless you have "hidden items" enabled in the File Explorer (open the File Explorer, go to the "View" tab, and click the check box for "Hidden items.")

2. In the <Settings></Settings> section of Global.xml, add the line <LEDsEnabled>false</LEDsEnabled>. If it's already there, change it to false, but in my case the line was missing. See the screenshot below -- this new line of code is on Line 25.

3. Save the Global.xml file. The LED light should turn off immediately.

Thanks all!
Attachments
turn_off_blue_light_xml.png
turn_off_blue_light_xml.png (47.14 KiB) Viewed 46407 times
nuclear_bullet

Post by nuclear_bullet »

pball wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:02 pm If you go and edit the Global.xml file you can change the led state.

C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg

<LEDsEnabled>false</LEDsEnabled>

This should be an entry in the <Settings> area of the xml file, if it doesn't exist you should be able to add it. The led changed state as soon as I saved this file.
Thank you so much for this solution! It immediately turned it off upon saving the .xml file, I thought I would have to shut the process down and re-launch 3DConnexion app, but it worked right away!

This thing has been driving me nuts! I really don't like anything RGB on my setup since it's mostly for work and flashing lights are distracting!

:D