Spacemouse Stops Working in Revit after Inactivity

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

burggraben

Re: Spacemouse Stops Working in Revit after Inactivity

Post by burggraben »

burggraben wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:37 pm
jwick wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:10 am There has been some work on this. It will require a very recent version of 3DxWare and Enscape.
Can you elaborate on that? What was fixed? Which verisions of Enscape?
@jwick Can you explain what was done? This still happens to me.
jwick

Post by jwick »

burggraben,

Enscape is working on the 3D mouse experience. I don't know what the release schedule for that work is. I expect it to be much better.
burggraben

Post by burggraben »

Hi jwick,

The 3D mouse works just fine in Enscape. The particular problem discussed earlier in this thread appears only in 3D mouse navigation in Revit. The model apears to "fly away" in certain 3D views but not in others. A working 3D may get "corrupted" spontaneously without any user change. but can be restored from a backup 3D view.

I literally have a 3D view called BACKUP in Revit which is always duplicate and then manually have to set levels, view, options etc all over again.
This might be a problem in 3D space mouse software or in Revit, I am not sure. But it only occurs in 3D mouse navigation, not in normal mouse navigation. This have been a problem for 2 years for me. Any idea if this needs to be addresses in Revit or in 3Dconnexion software. Is there anything I can do to provide debugging information? I have acccess to software developers who can provider you with technical details if you give me instructions.
dobrik007

Post by dobrik007 »

I don't use Escape, I work with Lumion. But Lumion is installed only on one computer, and the device does not work correctly on all machines. Unfortunately, the device is not suitable for Revit.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Now that you mention it, I have seen that in Revit.

The center of rotation apparently gets set incorrectly. The scene is then on a long lever arm relative to it and any rotation causes it to swing out of view as if a giant translation was being applied.

I found that I could do something with the AutoCAM icons (overlayed control in the upper right corner) and it would reset/recalculate correctly. I forget what those were - possibly just use the view cube to set a new view.

I've never been able to reproduce it to file a bug report with Autodesk.
It appears to be an AutoCAM component (Revit) problem.
AFAIK, that component is no longer maintained by Autodesk but if you could give them a reproducible scenario, they might look at it.
Orchards92@gmail.com

Post by Orchards92@gmail.com »

I have been having this disconnecting issue for 3 years in every version of Revit from 2020 till 2024. I even have long email chains between customer support with video's showing them the issue occurring but nothing has ever been done, they always tell me they can not repeat the issue yet we have 4 people in our office using the space mouse and all 4 of use have this issue. Its a great product but this has been a massive bug that has been reported for years and nothing gets fixed.

If anyone comes up with a work around please share.
luping

Post by luping »

Orchards92@gmail.com wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:39 am I have been having this disconnecting issue for 3 years in every version of Revit from 2020 till 2024. I even have long email chains between customer support with video's showing them the issue occurring but nothing has ever been done, they always tell me they can not repeat the issue yet we have 4 people in our office using the space mouse and all 4 of use have this issue. Its a great product but this has been a massive bug that has been reported for years and nothing gets fixed.

Obviously you have to ask Autodesk to implement the full 3DxWare SDK API into Revit software codebase, Autodesk has deep pocket and human resources.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Orchards92@gmail.com,

I see a thread from Nov 2021. ...SpaceMouse Wireless stops working when you disconnect some devices...

If this is a condition you regularly see, would it be possible to turn on the driver log and send it to me after you see the issue again?

To turn on the driver log: 3Dx systray icon->RMB->Write Log File.
Then send me: %localappdata%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxService.log. You might need to PM me a OneDrive link if it is huge.

Do you have any Revit rendering plugins installed? E.g., Enscape or Lumion?

Thank you.
Orchards92@gmail.com

Post by Orchards92@gmail.com »

jwick wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:56 am Orchards92@gmail.com,

I see a thread from Nov 2021. ...SpaceMouse Wireless stops working when you disconnect some devices...

If this is a condition you regularly see, would it be possible to turn on the driver log and send it to me after you see the issue again?

To turn on the driver log: 3Dx systray icon->RMB->Write Log File.
Then send me: %localappdata%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxService.log. You might need to PM me a OneDrive link if it is huge.

Do you have any Revit rendering plugins installed? E.g., Enscape or Lumion?

Thank you.
unfortunately I can not make a log file. I have tried many times but as soon as I start a log it locks up my Revit and completely freezes it.

And no I do not have any other rendering plugins installed and I have tried deleting the cfg files, uninstalling and updating drivers but no luck.
Alakelele

Post by Alakelele »

This is a duplicate post, look here https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic ... 72#p118529
Alakelele

Post by Alakelele »

Orchards92@gmail.com wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:39 am I have been having this disconnecting issue for 3 years in every version of Revit from 2020 till 2024. I even have long email chains between customer support with video's showing them the issue occurring but nothing has ever been done, they always tell me they can not repeat the issue yet we have 4 people in our office using the space mouse and all 4 of use have this issue. Its a great product but this has been a massive bug that has been reported for years and nothing gets fixed.

I hear you brother, that communication was with 3dconnexion or Autodesk ?
Alakelele

Post by Alakelele »

luping wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:34 am

Obviously you have to ask Autodesk to implement the full 3DxWare SDK API into Revit software codebase, Autodesk has deep pocket and human resources.
Good one, like they ever listen to common sense and practical solutions....
luping

Post by luping »

Alakelele wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:09 am
luping wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:34 am

Good one, like they ever listen to common sense and practical solutions....
The Autodesk Revit BIM software, like its AutoCAD and Inventor software, the 3D modelling kernel is based on Dassault Systèmes subsidiary Spatial Corporation's 3D ACIS modelling kernel.

A much much more powerful BIM software is Bentley's Microstation, it's based on Siemens Digital Industries Software's 3D geometric modelling kernel Parasolid.
Sir Yames Esquire

Post by Sir Yames Esquire »

I believe I may have found a solution. Previously my 3D mouse would cut out, as it would with other coworkers. After changing this setting I left a model open for just over 24 hrs with no issues.

Provided you have admin rights to your computer go into Device manager, Human Interface Devices, right click on 3Dconnexion KMJ Emulator and go into properties. UNCHECK the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" then hit "OK".

KMJ Emulator is "Keyboard Mouse Joystick" Emulator and does exactly what the name suggests.
My thinking is that after windows shuts it down Revit is unable to reconnect to it, so let's prevent it from disconnecting.

Less of an actual fix and more of a circumventing of the issue, but so far no issues or negative repercussions. So I'm calling it a fix! 8)
Attachments
Revit 3D Mouse issue.PNG
Revit 3D Mouse issue.PNG (63.81 KiB) Viewed 8324 times