space navigator not recognised

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Phil999,

this is an interesting case. If the driver is running then the device is recognized by the os. We have never had a case where the driver started, but the 3D mouse wasn't working at all.

Do you have more than one 3D mouse connected to your machine? Our release driver only recognizes one. Is the device plugged directly into the machine or are you using an extension or a USB hub?

The PID is near the USB plug on the little black label.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

I also find this case interesting. And challenging. :)

The SPP was attached to a hub for about two years (don't remember exactly, but for a relatively long time). Installed with the latest beta driver as soon they became available. Worked without problem and improved my workflow with all sorts of applications, not only 3D.

Later I used a USB-extension and a dedicated port that I never changed. This worked without problems for several months, until the device stopped working for the first time. Since then I tried all I could think of, and the behaviour of device and OS was not always the same. I used mostly laptops and netbooks for this, because my PC's are in the next room, too far away for a direct USB connection. In the last attempts it was reproducible however, the device installs correctly (including the window that asks to reboot after the device has been attached, with or without pressed buttons), KMJ- and SPP driver ok, custom profiles load correctly when changing applications (both official and beta drivers), top buttons are working. Maybe these numerous attempts with held down buttons did have an effect after all. Before there were all sorts of error messages, mainly about device not installed. This has stopped, the device appears to be ok from what I can tell.

It is only the axis and button press data that doesn't come through. Maybe it's only a small thing, and I hope I will find it with more trials. So far the only cap action I can achieve is with the Chicken Demo. When I start Chicken Demo, the head slightly moves when I move the cap. But I can only see it at the edge of the head where some pixels are changing. After that, no movement possible. I'll continue to try rather simple things. Using an older driver, try with Windows XP, etc.

Is it so that the driver package that we download includes the firmware of the device? Would it be possible to have an installer for the firmware only? Can this help maybe?
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

at the moment I have only one Space device attached. And the PID I can't find, I'm afraid. I must have removed that label near the USB plug, without paying attention about its meaning.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Phil,

try the Cube3D demo and pull up the sensitivity to the highest level. Can you see more than just some pixels changing?

Just to check the device: can you please connect it directly to a PC (no laptop, no netbook) and see if it works there?

Do you see a difference if you use a USB hub with a power supply?
FusedFilament

Post by FusedFilament »

Hi,

First of all great products, but I seem to be having a problem with a SpaceNavigator and Window 7 64bit along with many I see...

I have read the above posts but nothing has yet resolved my issue.

On all 32bit xp pro machines the little fella works like a charm, but on my main windows 7 64bit ulimate machine it either will not fire up or stay connected for more than five minutes. The machine is of high spec and used as my main Solidworks CAD workstation.

The error messages are driver related indicating there is a malfunction with the device - typical code43 error. I am running the lastest drivers and the machine is flawless in all regards. A very frustrating situtation.

Has anyone found a resolution to this issue yet?

regards

FF
FusedFilament

Post by FusedFilament »

Hmm no edit...

I forgot to add if any of the following maybe the nail in the tyre - I don't think so but always better give such information.

ZoneAlarm, AVG, USB Hub.

FF
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

UtaSH wrote: try the Cube3D demo and pull up the sensitivity to the highest level. Can you see more than just some pixels changing?
no, not one pixel. No movement at all. I must set the sensitivity with the mouse, the buttons of the SPP don't work.
UtaSH wrote:Just to check the device: can you please connect it directly to a PC (no laptop, no netbook) and see if it works there?
doesn't work either. But worth a try, as I do it not often.
UtaSH wrote:Do you see a difference if you use a USB hub with a power supply?
from my experience all 3dx devices work flawlessly with USB hubs. Even switchable (KVM switch), there is no problem at all to use a device on multiple computers and switching back and forth.

Installed was the latest beta driver. As usual I'll try again with a clean install of the official driver.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

FusedFilament wrote:Hmm no edit...

I forgot to add if any of the following maybe the nail in the tyre - I don't think so but always better give such information.

ZoneAlarm, AVG, USB Hub.

FF
FusedFilament,

are the settings in your antivirus software the same as on your XP machine?

Does it make a difference if you connect the device directly to the machine (no USB hub)?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Phil999 wrote:Installed was the latest beta driver. As usual I'll try again with a clean install of the official driver.
If this doesn't help, you should contact our technical support line and ask for a replacement.

BTW: you did not by chance change you antivirus software? Could it be that this software is blocking the events from the device?
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

no, I have no antivirus software installed.

Thank you for your kind support, Uta.
mibeyer

Space Navigator not recognized

Post by mibeyer »

Hi,
I read through the topic but could not solve my similar problem that the SN is not recognized.

My System is:
Win 7 64Bit Ultimate SP1
E8400 3,0 GHz
2GB RAM

I have 3DxSoftware64_v3-15-2_r1219 installed.

If I pluging the SN it is regonized as "unkown device"
Driver update/repair did not work
3Dxrepair had no effect
"Start Driver" does not show any effect at all, "Stop Driver" promts no Driver running.

I have the impression that Windows did not receive a driver during installation of the software and I can't find any file that would work with "change driver" in the Windows driver management.

Please assist!
THX
Mirko
mibeyer

Post by mibeyer »

By the way, I just noticed that the 3Dx Control Panel cannot be started.
Win 7 compatibility mode respectivly admin rights do not change anything...
FusedFilament

Post by FusedFilament »

UtaSH wrote:
FusedFilament wrote:Hmm no edit...

ZoneAlarm, AVG, USB Hub.

FF
FusedFilament,

are the settings in your antivirus software the same as on your XP machine?

Does it make a difference if you connect the device directly to the machine (no USB hub)?
Hi UtaSH,

Unfortunately it makes no difference being connected via hub or directly to the main USB ports.

The anti virus software is different to the XP machines but having it disabled again makes little difference?

However there does seam to be a pattern forming to enable the device:

1. Repeatedly connect device to USB port until LED's lights.
2. Start 3D control panel ( not 'start driver' shortcut ).
3. Repeat above until control panel starts ( 5-6 attempts the norm ).
4. Stop driver ( this seem's to be an important step?).
5. Repeat steps 1 & 2 ( normally once, maybe twice ).

This process enables the device for the duration of the session? If I do not complete steps 4 & 5 the device stops working after a few minutes ( regular occurance ).

I hope the above can shed some light as to why I have to go through this hassel. The product is great but I am reluctant to purchase anymore for the Win 7 machines untill its 'plug n play' operation is flawless. The complaints from my staff would drive me insane.

kind regards

Fused

ps. all win 7 machines react in the same way?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

FusedFilament wrote:The error messages are driver related indicating there is a malfunction with the device - typical code43 error.
Hi FusedFilament,

where do you see these error messages?
FusedFilament

Post by FusedFilament »

UtaSH wrote:
Hi FusedFilament,

where do you see these error messages?
Hi UtaSH,

The comment was merely a passed on responce from our IT chap here? Unfortunately I do not the exact location he gained this information from, however I will ask him next time I see him.

The message I see often is: " One of the USB devices attached to your computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it__"

Also this one has popped up a few times: "Could not load transport DLL pxytrans.dll"

I hope this is of help to you?

kind regards

Fused