Spacenavigator - can't find calibrate option

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

loofer

Spacenavigator - can't find calibrate option

Post by loofer »

I have a Spacenavigator and am running 10.8.5 software but on both machines it's installed when I right click on the icon in the taskbar I only get an option to open settings or write a log file, no option to calibrate, can anyone suggest a fix please?
mhoopes

Re: Spacenavigator - can't find calibrate option

Post by mhoopes »

The calibration and LED controls have been removed from 3DxSmartUi. I haven't read anything from 3DConnexion that gives any reasons for this. The same thing seems to be true when asked about the differences between the discontinued SpaceNavigator and the SpaceMouse Compact.

That said, I haven't had an issue with drift on the SpaceNavigator or SpaceMouse Pro and haven't needed to calibrate them recently. I assume there's been updates to the driver software that have taken care of this.
Michael Hoopes
Angus

Post by Angus »

Same thing for me I'm currently using the Spacemouse Enterprise, currently having some random drift problems and "calibrating it use to work sometimes (nott always) but now I don't even have the "calibration option. " the LED toggle is now "hidden" in the advance setting menu, is not anymore in the right click drop down menu.

It would be nice to hear oficially from 3D connexion about why the Calibration functionality is gone, and how to really solve the drifting issues that are present across all models. (I also own a Spacemouse compact with the same drifting issues)
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi all,

I am sorry that you miss the calibrate functions. Since quite some years all of our products have an autocalibrate function. This means that if the device is sending the same (not too high) values the device is calibrated automatically. This should be as well the case with your devices. If it doesn't please contact our Technical Support Team. They can assist with troubleshooting steps and start the replacement process if needed.
pball

Post by pball »

UtaSH wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:40 am Hi all,

I am sorry that you miss the calibrate functions. Since quite some years all of our products have an autocalibrate function. This means that if the device is sending the same (not too high) values the device is calibrated automatically. This should be as well the case with your devices. If it doesn't please contact our Technical Support Team. They can assist with troubleshooting steps and start the replacement process if needed.
Even with that auto calibrate function I've had the need to do a manual calibration a few times the past couple of years. Seems like the auto calibrate function could use improvements or maybe just leave existing functionality alone. I don't see the point in making something less user friendly by removing functions. These 3D mice are the best and possibly only hardware out there and the software is the main thing holding it back from being even better.
jeffg28CLY

Post by jeffg28CLY »

pball wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:32 am Even with that auto calibrate function I've had the need to do a manual calibration a few times the past couple of years. Seems like the auto calibrate function could use improvements or maybe just leave existing functionality alone. I don't see the point in making something less user friendly by removing functions. These 3D mice are the best and possibly only hardware out there and the software is the main thing holding it back from being even better.
Agreed.
I do understand wanting to keep a UI tidy, but if the functionality's already been programmed in, maybe just move it to a different section rather than remove it entirely.
Maybe put it in Advanced.

My use-case may be a bit unique... I 3d-printed a tilted base for my Spacemouse. It's tilted 15° to one side. It makes it easier for me to use.
That angle is right on the edge of causing the knob to think it's being tilted to the side deliberately, so occasionally I'd get a bit of drift. "Calibrate" seemed to help with that.
(I'd actually want to tilt it even more, if the design could tolerate it.)

How does the auto-calibrate work? How does it know when it should auto-calibrate, or know when it needs to do it?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

jeffg28CLY wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:59 am I do understand wanting to keep a UI tidy, but if the functionality's already been programmed in, maybe just move it to a different section rather than remove it entirely.
Maybe put it in Advanced.
Spot on. The "Calibrate" function will be available from the "Advanced Settings" panel for SpaceMouse devices.

We're tracking this change as WIN-1043 and expect to deliver it in the next driver update (v. 10.8.8 ) by end of the month or early July.
Nuno Gomes