help my space navigator has a skin disease....... serious!

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Phil999

Re: help my space navigator has a skin disease....... serious!

Post by Phil999 »

sorry to hear and see such damage. I can only guess that it may have something to do with hot climate or high humidity.

Because I have two Space Navigator devices from the first batch, soon after they were available. Can't remember the date, but they must have been fabricated with the old formula. Both of them are still in daily use. They look, feel, and function as new. One of them needs calibration more often, the other one maybe once a year. I can't say that I work in a very clean environment, and to be honest I don't wash my hands too often.

So I would say it is nobody's fault if the surface gets ugly. The devices are well built and last over a decade, these are quality products. It must be the climatic condition, or cleaning agents, soap remnants with high/low ph value, perfumes where the alcohol acts as a solvent, something like that. Difficult to say.

But I know the problem from other - mostly cheap - electronic devices. The best thing is probably to remove the coating, as advised before. It worked for me.
Space Navigator x2, Space Pilot, Space Pilot Pro, SpaceMouse Enterprise
pintom

Post by pintom »

We pay good money for these expensive products and we shouldn't have to remove a surface finish because it is faulty. The customer shouldn't have to modify the product to be able to use it as intended. The poor excuse of "the environment, PH of the user, etc., is not an answer for a faulty surface finish. 3dconnexion owes their customers a refund for these faulty products.
3dconnexion Hardware: SpaceMouse Pro USB, CADMouse
Computer: HP ZBook Studio G3
BillBreedon

Post by BillBreedon »

European users might note that the 3dconnexion guarantee notwithstanding, EU law means that the device must be for for purpose and last a reasonable length of time. There is obviously a design fault with the original surface which showed up pretty early on.
Kyphor

Post by Kyphor »

First off, I'd like to say thanks for the information.

I jumped on here because the rubber-ish coating on the inset portion of my SpaceMouse PRO has become guey. It was always a little sticky, but it is absolutely gross. I think I will try some of the remedies using cleaners to remove the coating. I agree with the statement that was made regarding the cleaners; they no doubt have caused some degradation of the coating. However, I did not see in the instructions any exlusions to specific cleaning methods. I am using the same wipes that I use to clean my keyboard and mouse. The latter has a rubber coating on portions and it is not melting.

Not having any issues with the knob though. I did not purchase this unit, it was provided to me through my work, but I would serioulsy reconsider purchasing one on my own or a replacement for work use.
Stickymess.jpg
Stickymess.jpg (125.89 KiB) Viewed 32512 times
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Kyphor,

please contact our Technical Support Team.
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

My 2013 SpaceMouse Pro has a similar issue as the one Kyphor's report, as does my Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. I suspect that the reason the material breaks down in this manner is due to its reaction with skin oils over time, not other environmental conditions.

My plea to 3Dconnexion, for the SpaceMouse Pro: could you publish a template for cutting out some adhesive silicone rubber to replace this stuff, once I remove it? It's difficult to trim it cleanly after application.
Michael Hoopes
carolynperry

Post by carolynperry »

Unfortunately that's the thing with most products nowadays. They're all designed to last just a bit past their warranty period. Companies test everything they sell and have a pretty good idea how long each of their products will last under typical usage. Your only options will be to clean it carefully, as in the case of goo build up from your hands, or to replace the rubber piece yourself.
mark_melb

Post by mark_melb »

Isopropyl Alcohol should work on it. Same with your $2500 camera.
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

Tried that. It’s not build-up, however, it’s break-down. The lipids from our skin are a slow-acting solvent for the grippy elastomer polymer material.
Michael Hoopes
rkagerer

Post by rkagerer »

I've owned a couple 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse Pro Wireless devices and over the years they've both had this problem. One is barely used (was mainly a backup). Whatever vulcanized rubber coating they apply during manufacturing simply doesn't stand the test of time. I've had this same problem with other electronics using similar coatings (e.g. old Logitech X52 Flight Control System).

3Dconnexion replaced one of them. I haven't bothered with the other. I'm thinking about 3D printing a knob cover (and pad) using a silicone-like resin.

I share the same frustration as other users who have posted here. For $300+ you'd expect better build quality.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

for larger surfaces, which I touch often, I like to glue a piece of leather. Whatever it is. A lower part of a mixing desk, a handheld device, a camera grip.

My old trusted Space Pilot Pro is still in good shape with this layer of leather. I'm not at the place right now, but I can post images of its state after many years of use with this fine shoe leather.

Artificial surfaces are still not ideal for long time skin contact. Maybe future microfabric materials will solve this problem, but for the time being I rely on natural materials. And probably keep it that way.
Space Navigator x2, Space Pilot, Space Pilot Pro, SpaceMouse Enterprise
Gth

Post by Gth »

Greetings,

Indeed there is a huge problem with the rubber cover.
Mine Mouse Pro has became very sticky. Awful in touch and attracts a lot of tiny particles.

Alas it has been not covered by warranty.
Is there any possibility to repair it or to get a replacement for a fraction of price paid?

This becomes very expensive piece of hardware, works fine but the operating it has became unpleasant and it looks horrible.
Gth

Re:

Post by Gth »

wavemaster wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:09 pm I tried to scrape away some of the sticky gooey stuff. Underneath I find the hard plastic slick surface of the main part.

It appears the rubbery stuff is coming off.

I am out of warranty.
Same here.
Incredible poor quality for an expensive piece of hardware.
Have you managed to resolve the issue? Any reaction from 3DConnexion Support?
luping

Post by luping »

Gth wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:08 pm Greetings,

Indeed there is a huge problem with the rubber cover.
Mine Mouse Pro has became very sticky. Awful in touch and attracts a lot of tiny particles.

Alas it has been not covered by warranty.
Is there any possibility to repair it or to get a replacement for a fraction of price paid?

This becomes very expensive piece of hardware, works fine but the operating it has became unpleasant and it looks horrible.
Try to find some mouse anti-slip grip tape to cover the surface.
jbobrow

Post by jbobrow »

The 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse 3DX is a magical tool. I have recommended it to everyone I introduce to 3D tools, usually CAD in the form of Fusion360. Unfortunately, I am now in this same boat. It is disappointing to see product feedback from 13 years prior not received or acted upon. The coating is problematic and now I have a useless tool on my desk. I am certain I am outside of the warranty window, but mostly just disappointed as I won't be able to use my 3D mouse anymore or make recommendations to others to purchase them going forward. I do love supporting companies that look to help their customers and navigate tricky situations like this. Product problems happen, hopefully there is some good follow-through soon.