adobe acrobat reader vs. 3DxService.exe

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

2pospisil

adobe acrobat reader vs. 3DxService.exe

Post by 2pospisil »

I have a problem between 3DxService.exe and adobe acrobat reader (AAR). If I move the mouse pointer over the menu bar in AAR, it will strangely disappear and the whole graphic will be damaged Reader. It goes wrong again each time you hover the mouse.
The problem occurred after installing the drivers for your cad mouse product. I tried to end task the individual processes in the task manager, and I found out that the whole thing is done by the 3Dconnexion.exe application. The whole thing is very annoying, and it significantly worsens the work in the AAR.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both, your drivers and ARR, and nothing helped. The problem still persists.
What could be the problem? Can you think of a solution? Any idea?
Attachments
1.png
1.png (62.11 KiB) Viewed 16974 times
1 (1).png
1 (1).png (59.97 KiB) Viewed 16974 times
luping

Re: adobe acrobat reader vs. 3DxService.exe

Post by luping »

Install the 32-bit version as a temporary solution for the time being:
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 32 bit
https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/adobe ... _en_US.exe

Acrobat Customization Wizard DC may also be needed for a clean look:
https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrob ... ls/Wizard/

Windows Registry Reference FeatureLockDown (Lockable Settings) may also be needed, e.g. toggle Adobe Document Services, toggle Adobe Sign in button, toggle Send Copy button, toggle Web Connectors like Dropbox button:
https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrob ... index.html
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Make sure you're on the latest driver version (10.8.6 as of writing this) and that you have the add-in for Acrobat installed.

Then, go to Acrobat Reader, menu "Edit" > "Preferences..." > select "Security (Enhanced)" on the left pane and disable the "Run in AppContainer" option. Restart the application and this should be sorted.

Having the "Run in AppContainer" option enabled stops the add-in from connecting to the driver and that, in turn, prevents the driver from loading the correct configuration (which activates the workaround for this particular issue).
Nuno Gomes
2pospisil

Post by 2pospisil »

ngomes wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:50 am Make sure you're on the latest driver version (10.8.6 as of writing this) and that you have the add-in for Acrobat installed.

Then, go to Acrobat Reader, menu "Edit" > "Preferences..." > select "Security (Enhanced)" on the left pane and disable the "Run in AppContainer" option. Restart the application and this should be sorted.

Having the "Run in AppContainer" option enabled stops the add-in from connecting to the driver and that, in turn, prevents the driver from loading the correct configuration (which activates the workaround for this particular issue).
Awesome, it's finally solved. Thank you very much.
rccardude04

Post by rccardude04 »

Hopefully it's better to resurrect an old thread instead of starting new!

I have been having this exact issue for at least a year now across 3 different machines, and finally realized a CADMouse was the common link between all three. I'm unable to use the fix documented above to correct the issue though, and have tried both installing all features of the 3dxware software and as few as possible - both with the same results. If I uninstall the 3dxware, Adobe behaves properly.

I downloaded the latest version of the 3dconnexion software from the website (tried 32 bit as well and was blocked from installing) with consistent results.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
-Eric
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

rccardude04 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:21 am I'm unable to use the fix documented above to correct the issue though,
Why are you unable to follow the suggested workaround? Perhaps we can come up with a different approach.
rccardude04

Post by rccardude04 »

ngomes wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:45 am
rccardude04 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:21 am I'm unable to use the fix documented above to correct the issue though,
Why are you unable to follow the suggested workaround? Perhaps we can come up with a different approach.
Sorry - I didn't articulate that very clearly. I was able to make the changes outlined in the workaround above (I disabled the "Run in AppContainer" checkbox, installed the Adobe functionality in 3DXWare, and have the latest driver from the 3dconnexion website) but the buttons still disappear as I move the mouse around in Acrobat. I'm not using Acrobat Reader though - This is Adobe Acrobat Standard 64-bit, a fresh installation.

For now, I have uninstalled the 3DXWare software and everything is working OK other than the lacking features.

Thanks,
-Eric
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

rccardude04 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:28 am but the buttons still disappear as I move the mouse around in Acrobat. I'm not using Acrobat Reader though - This is Adobe Acrobat Standard 64-bit, a fresh installation.
That's consistent with the add-in not loading in Acrobat: without the add-in, the driver won't trigger the workaround.

This is a complex issue and I may be better to get in touch with my colleagues in the Technical Support team (contact details here). If you do contact them, you will want to mention this Forum topic and the reference number for this issue, WIN-999.
rccardude04

Post by rccardude04 »

That works, thank you for the help!
GhostKernel

Post by GhostKernel »

This bug is well described on the Adobe forum at https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat- ... p/12582670.

I would not call disabling "Run in AppContainer" a "solution", and I hope that this will be resolved by the two companies.
GhostKernel

Post by GhostKernel »

This bug is still open over a year since the previous posts, but disabling "Run in AppController" no longer fixes the bug after reinstalling Windows 11 22H2 on 21 Oct 2023 with OS Build 22621.2428.

3DConnexxion Support - what is the solution please? Anal committed many, many months ago to solving this.
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

I'm on Win 11 build 23570.1000 (version 22H2), Adobe Reader DC latest version, and it is working fine for me in the aforementioned AppContainer.
As for the title bar, it went away in a recent Reader update, and is an intentional change by Adobe, in line with a lot of other modern applications. Do you miss the extra white space in the old title bar? In my case, it doesn't come and go; it is never there. Are you on the latest Reader?

As far as I can tell, Adobe long ago gave up on 3Dx support for Acrobat Reader. Have any of you tried it with 3D PDFs? It's the worst implementation of the driver in 3D that I've ever seen, and that includes some one-developer applications (like https://www.zofzpcb.com/). On the other hand, the Reader 2D operation is very good.

Does Reader DC even come with C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins\3DxAcr3d.api? My recollection is that Reader 11 is the last version that included it. I believe it is instantiated when 3DxWare is installed with Reader already present. Perhaps Adobe needs to update 3DxAcr3d.api to meet their own security protocol.

I think it's not up to 3DConnexion to maintain other companies' software. This is a one-to-many situation where the users need to make a case for support with the end-use vendor.
Michael Hoopes
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

One other thing, which I haven't yet tried: you can try File...Enable New Acrobat Reader, or Menu...Disable New Acrobat Reader. The new one ALWAYS brings up the All Tools menu, which I don't like. Otherwise, I'm ok with the UX changes.
Michael Hoopes
GhostKernel

Post by GhostKernel »

I don't use 3D PDFs ever.
But if the drivers for a 3DConnexion device are installed, and then Adobe Reader is installed, Adobe's borders and menus don't display properly.
Disabling the new Acrobat and unchecking AppContainers doesn't solve it. The new UI is a annoying and unusable as it is cumbersome to do simple things like change width and scrolling.
Whatever the cause is, Adobe has ignored it or their developers are unable to figure out or they've been wasting their time with the new interface.
I tried Foxit PDF reader and (1) it just works and (2) it doesn't irritate me. There is just no advantage left to using Adobe's Reader - FAIL.
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

Does Foxit support pan for the 3D mouse? I don't see a way to do that. So far, I only see mouse wheel emulation there.

Foxit does have more Zoom features in their context menu, while they're buried three layers deep in the new Adobe Reader, and also anchored to the sidebar. Adobe Reader still has the same Zoom keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+0-4, but Foxit Reflow is a bit janky and slow to launch in some docs), so little difference for me). I'd still prefer Zoom options in context.

I don't have any operational/toolbar issues in the latest 64-bit Reader DC (Reader version 2023.006.20360, 3DxAcr3d.api version 1.5.1.763) and 3DxWare driver (version 10.8.15) in Win 11 (build 23570.ni_prerelease.231013-1312). That part sounds like a local problem.
Michael Hoopes