Unreal 5.0.0: Cook error from TDxUnrealEditor

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

3DModeler

Unreal 5.0.0: Cook error from TDxUnrealEditor

Post by 3DModeler »

I'm using the 3Dc addon for Unreal 5.0 which works great, except when the game is cooked and I get the following error. I suspect a misconfiguration problem in the addon - thoughts?

Code: Select all

ERROR: Expecting to find a type to be declared in a module rules named 'TDxUnrealEditor' in UE5Rules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.  This type must derive from the 'ModuleRules' type defined by Unreal Build Tool.
3DModeler

Re: Unreal 5.0.0: Cook error from TDxUnrealEditor

Post by 3DModeler »

Actually this is during the Build phase of the automated build

..\Engine\UE_5.0\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.exe XYZEditor Win64 Development -Project=C:\XYZ.uproject C:\XYZ.uproject -NoUBTMakefiles -Manifest=XYZeManifest.html l -NoHotReload -log="logfile.txt"
3DModeler

Post by 3DModeler »

Now with the 5.0.1 update the error occurs in regular builds in the engine - the plugin is broken and not working. We had to disable it.

@ngomes can you please check this?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Sorry for not following up any sooner but we're having difficulties with UE 5.0 (graphics driver issues, it would seem).

Can you give us a more detailed scenario so that we can reproduce this ourselves?

We tried the following: take an older game project, convert it using UE 5.0.1, check the plugin works as expected. Then, we went to "Platforms" > "Windows" and selected "Cook Content". There was no issue. We also ran "Package Content" but, again, didn't see any problems.
Nuno Gomes
3DModeler

Post by 3DModeler »

Thanks, no problem I understand.

One thing is we're using Rider - that could be making the difference. They just released 2022.1 with released Unreal/Unity support, I expect this will quickly (if not already) be the standard for Unreal development.

Our project was created from scratch in 5.0EA, but try Rider, my guess is that's finding the issue.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

3DModeler wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:37 pm One thing is we're using Rider - that could be making the difference.
And does the build also fail in Unreal Editor? Even if using a simplistic UE 5.0 project (one of the "game" templates, say)?
3DModeler

Post by 3DModeler »

Amend that - the error occurs on two machines I tested before I pulled from them all, a developer machine, and the build server. It occurs with Rider and also with UnrealBuildTool per the original post.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Does it fail when using the RunUAT.bat script?

Here's an example of the command-line:

Code: Select all

"<path>\UE_5.0\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\RunUAT.bat" BuildCookRun -project="<path to project>\MyProject.uproject" -platform=Win64 -clientconfig=Development -cook -allmaps -stage -pak -archive -archivedirectory="%CD%\output"
3DModeler

Post by 3DModeler »

Yes sorry, actually on the build server it fails in the RunUAT.bat part, that's the original error cited.

We're early in a EA5 project so the project is still very vanilla. Some code changes, bunch of art added, that's all. And a few built in plugins enabled (scripting and such), and I just added the code for the plugin to the engine, then enabled it in the project settings.
3DModeler

Post by 3DModeler »

And testing an earlier idea, I created a new project (top down) in C++, but was unable to launch it as on first compile, before the IDE even comes up, it failed due to the same error. So this is reproducible across three different use cases on two machines.

What are you doing differently that you're not able to reproduce it? Are you testing on a clean room test machine/install, not a development one which may have leftover development changes that are allowing it to work?
3DModeler

Post by 3DModeler »

Also worth noting, I believe the very first 5.0.0 release compiled, I think the error occurred with the latest 5.0.1 release. I've been busy so this could be wrong, but ignore the thread title about the version, regardless 5.0.1 is broken, are you running that?
3DModeler

Post by 3DModeler »

Finally (sorry for multiple replies, there's no edit function AFAIK) the manual installation instructions are confusing, it is installed in Engine/Plugins/TDxUnrealEditor/..TDxUnrealEditor.uplugin
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

3DModeler wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:50 am We're early in a EA5 project
Do you mean "UE 5EA", like in "early access"? If so, then errors are expected since the plug-in (as of v. 10.8.7 of 3DxWare 10) targets UE 5.0 and newer.
3DModeler wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:44 am the manual installation instructions are confusing,
The automatic add-in installation is enabled in the 10.8.7 release, following the official launch of UE 5.0.
3DModeler

Post by 3DModeler »

No
ngomes wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:14 am
3DModeler wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:50 am We're early in a EA5 project
Do you mean "UE 5EA", like in "early access"? If so, then errors are expected since the plug-in (as of v. 10.8.7 of 3DxWare 10) targets UE 5.0 and newer.
3DModeler wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:44 am the manual installation instructions are confusing,
The automatic add-in installation is enabled in the 10.8.7 release, following the official launch of UE 5.0.
I mean UE5 not early access, as stated earlier we are on 5.0.1

What's the result of your troubleshooting? This is on two machines, with our project which isn't altered much from the template yet (just a ton of art assets) as I said above. Also the error occurs on creating a blank project, so it's highly reproducible. We're just using the Epic Store build of 5.0.1 for now, we haven't transitioned to a custom build yet.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

3DModeler wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:53 am What's the result of your troubleshooting?
We can't reproduce what you're seeing. Projects appear to build as expected but we're using Unreal Editor and RunUAT.bat from an UE 5.0.1 installation.

Are you still installing the plugin manually? The latest version of 3DxWare 10 (v. 10.8.7) has an updated plugin installer that automatically installs to UE 5.0 (and 5.0.1). If you haven't tried it yet, delete the plugin files and directories that were copied manually and upgrade to 10.8.7.

You may have inadvertently copied the plugin files for a different engine version, perhaps explaining the "missing type" error.