Custom controller actions for apps other than CAD?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

powermixx

Custom controller actions for apps other than CAD?

Post by powermixx »

SpaceMouse Pro Wireless

Can I program custom actions for apps other than CAD? I use an audio editing app called Digital Performer by MOTU. I'd love to be able to program the center controller to scroll more intuitively than having to use the mouse and click things on the screen. Can the center controller be custom programmed? If so, how do I do this please? Thank you!

https://motu.com/en-us/products/software/dp/
jwick

Re: Custom controller actions for apps other than CAD?

Post by jwick »

Yes, but it isn't easy.
There is no GUI support for it, but the driver supports a few ways of using the input from the device:
  • You can remap the input to some other devices (mouse, keyboard, joystick). This is fairly easy. If your app supports these devices, this is the first thing I would try. You just have to modify XML files.
  • Other than that you need to write code and tell the driver to call your code when some device event happens.
    • You may achieve a useful interface by massaging 2D mouse events and forwarding them to your application.
    • If the application has an SDK, this possibly might produce a useful solution.
    • Either of these is a lot of work.
powermixx

Post by powermixx »

jwick,

Thank you for the reply and helpful info. When you say " You just have to modify XML files." - are you referring to the XML files for the SpaceMouse? If so, any idea where I can find those? Thank you again!

I search here and find over 150 XML:
C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare
powermixx

Post by powermixx »

jwick,

Thank you for the reply and help. Are you referring to the XML files for the controller? Where would I find and any idea which file I edit? Or how? SOrry I'm a noob. ;)

Thank you again for the assistance.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Sorry. You'll never figure out which file to edit on your own.

First we need to decide what you want to do.

Does the application have support for a joystick? You will have to look in their doc, on their forum or ask their tech support.
Does it use keyboard keys to do what you want? We can create an XML file to tell the driver to send those.