[Feature request] Button option to disable rotation for specific axis

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Intuos

[Feature request] Button option to disable rotation for specific axis

Post by Intuos »

When I am sketching, I like to rotate my view (like rotating a piece of paper) so I can draw straight lines in a comfortable direction. Currently, it is not possible to disable rotation for a specific axis, I can only disable rotation altogether.

What I would like to see is an additional button option, to enable/disable these two rotation axis:
Screenshot 2022-06-03 095727.png
Screenshot 2022-06-03 095727.png (88.33 KiB) Viewed 710 times
That way, I can pan, zoom and rotate the view as if I am drawing on paper. When done, I would hit the button again and navigate the 3d view. This would be very useful for Blender's Grease Pencil, amongst others.
jwick

Re: [Feature request] Button option to disable rotation for specific axis

Post by jwick »

There are a few options.
One is to use a Driver Function to filter out the other axes.
There is an AxisFilter_RyOnly function that will filter out all axes except Ry while a button is held down. You need to assign it to a button that has separate down & up states. E.g., this would assign it to the Shift key on a SpaceMouse Enterprise.

Code: Select all

<Button>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>HIDButton_25</ActionID>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>AxisFilter_RyOnly</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Button>
This function isn't in the default GUI so you need to edit the XML directly. You could add it to the GUI if you find you need it often.

This doesn't do exactly what you requested. To do that, a script would need to be written.