How to customize 6 axis's behaviors?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

onyxlee

How to customize 6 axis's behaviors?

Post by onyxlee »

Hi guys, newbie here.

I only see options to enable/disable/reverse certain axis in the setting panel, but I can't find anywhere how to define what actions you want each axis to execute. For example, in Premiere Pro, rotate up/down glides the timeline. I want to change that to rotate left/right. and set rotate up/down to zoom in/out the timeline. But when I enable pan/zoom, the spacemouse stops working in premiere pro right away. Anything that I tried to customize will make the spacemouse inactive in the software. The same goes to Chrome browser as well.

Any help is much appreciated.

jwick

Re: How to customize 6 axis's behaviors?

Post by jwick »

Some of these details are not exposed in the GUI.
Some may not be exposed at all if they are internal to the application.

The axis reassignments you want to make can probably be accomplished with some XML editing.

First you need to find out what cfg (XML) file is being used for your application. You can do that by hovering over the 3Dx systray icon while your application is running.
Once you know the filename, the Output assignments for the axes can be assigned to different axes.
It's not terribly simple. And it is easy to make XML syntax errors. If you do that the driver will reject your file and move it to the bak dir.
onyxlee

Post by onyxlee »

Thank you for your reply. I am pretty frustrated by the spacemouse. I can't set up anything in the setting panel, I can only use the default settings. Which means that in any browsers, I can only scroll up and down a webpage, nothing else works. When I tried to enable something in the setting panel, the spacemouse will quit doing anything and become a paperweight. So I can only use it as is in 3D software, and I can NOT customize it in any sense at all.

Is this how everyone uses it in the past decade? Please shed some light, thank you so much!
jwick

Post by jwick »

It was decided that the current GUI will not support this level of editing.
The capability is still there. But, of course, editing XML files is not user friendly.
scotchsure

Post by scotchsure »

Nothing can be configured in the settings panel; I can only use the parameters that were predefined for me. This means that I am only able to scroll up and down a webpage using any browser I use; nothing else functions properly. After I attempted to enable something in the configuration panel, the spacemouse stopped responding to any of my commands and instead behaved like a paperweight.
jwick

Post by jwick »

What sort of other things are you trying to do? In what apps?