SpacePilot Pro CTRL,ALT,ESC,Shift keys doing other things

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

giersh

SpacePilot Pro CTRL,ALT,ESC,Shift keys doing other things

Post by giersh »

First, I have no idea how to search for this problem. I've tried a million things and nothing has returned anything even useful.

Second, I'm running a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64, but it also did this in Windows 8 Customer Preview, and as well did it on another computer running Windows 7 Ultimate x32

In all cases, I have programmed NO macros of any sort, and am using the driver packages as they come. Beta or Official has no effect.

Anytime I press my ALT button, it tries to use button 4, and hits Transition also
CTRL opens a websearch, and I don't even know what button that is
ESC opens 3DC properties, a number pad and decreases sensitivity
Shift opens a new web browser window and increases sensitivity

the buttons seem to work for a couple of presses after reboot, then flip out again on me

The other buttons seem to work fine, as well as the cap.
SpacePilot Pro, yo!!
giersh

Post by giersh »

I have no clue why this posted four times, and I apologize for that.
SpacePilot Pro, yo!!
Fred

Post by Fred »

I removed the duplicate posts.
This was due to server lag and if you refreshed or retried posting it would create multiple posts.

Ive done it myself.

now on to the Problem.

You've said you have uninstalled and reinstalled current 3.15.3 driver.
Did you clear out the saved profiles?
Windows 7
C: --> Users --> [Username] --> AppData -->Roaming---> 3Dconnexion --> 3DxWare --> profiles
delete any files inside.

Close restart driver.
This will reset all default button mappings.

What application are you having this issue in?
Depending on the apps some use a add-in button mappings which would have to be programmed from the add-in not our 3Dcontrol panel or theyl get overwritten after you close and reopen the program.
giersh

Post by giersh »

Thanks much for you help!!

I have this problem with no apps running. I can boot Windows, and before running any applications, I can press any of the above buttons and said craziness ensues.

It seems to occur after using Sketchup 8 [not pro], I would assume. That's [literally] the only software I've used at since a fresh format and reinstall of Windows 7 [could not get over the lack of a start menu in Windows 8], aside from Chrome and a couple of installers for printer drivers and video card drivers.

Thinking about it, it hasn't worked properly since that time I ran it in Sketchup, and pressed Shift. It doesn't seem to matter about the profiles, but I'll try deleting them and rebooting before plugging it back in.
SpacePilot Pro, yo!!
giersh

Post by giersh »

So after clearing the profiles and reinstalling the drivers, it's still doing the same thing. Perhaps it's some kind of registry entry?

Even better question: If I have a MacBook Pro coming in the mail, should I even worry about this? Odds are against the same problems being repeated there, I hope.
SpacePilot Pro, yo!!
Fred

Post by Fred »

What application are you using when the buttons change?

Any application is just a default profile its not intended to be used for every applicaiton. The app has to be a supported application.
All supported apps have a preset default profile.
If not the default is used and should work as intended if the app allows those keys to be used.

Did you open the 3Dcontrol panel and verify the keys are set to what you want?

Open Sketchup, Next open the 3Dcontrol panel
by right clicking on the 3dicon in the system tray
The profile should be showing Sketchup
Check the button mapping and see whats selected, for Alt,Crtr,shift esc.

Change or reset them to the defaults and see what happens.
Do any of the buttons appears to be depressed or stuck down so it would be like pressing 2 buttons at once

Also Check your keyboard incase there is one of the buttons stuck it will give you the affect of pushing 2 buttons at once.

In regards to using a MAC i believe the device is still Windows Only if the device does get detected with the driver it will have limited capability

Let me know the results.
giersh

Post by giersh »

I can find out for sure if it is Sketchup that is causing the problem today. I had a HDD fail in my desktop last night, and I'm installing fresh again. I'll not install Sketchup and see if I have any problems with any software or buttons. Maya should suffice for a test run. I'll let you know my results, Sir.

Thanks again!
SpacePilot Pro, yo!!
Benville

Post by Benville »

Any update on this?

I've got a button (Roll+) thinking it's something else (Menu) in a very similar fashion as you described. Did you ever resolve the issue?
giersh

Post by giersh »

I never found a resolution. I did notice that it seems to start [if I've reinstalled my ENTIRE operating system] if I press a button while moving the control cap and will continue to have that problem regardless of uninstalling blah and reinstalling blah until I format and reinstall Windows.

It doesn't seem like there is a fix. =\ Kinda crappy for a $350 peripheral. Maybe someone will release a new version of the drivers that addresses this issue? [Hint, wink, nudge, developers? Not forum mods, cuz I know they've done their best to help]

On the other hand, there are unofficial beta drivers for Mac, and since I got my MacBook Pro, I haven't had the same issue. Sketchup doesn't support the SpacePilot Pro in OSX, though =[

At least Maya works right on my Mac =]
SpacePilot Pro, yo!!
giersh

Post by giersh »

I never found a resolution. I did notice that it seems to start [if I've reinstalled my ENTIRE operating system] if I press a button while moving the control cap and will continue to have that problem regardless of uninstalling blah and reinstalling blah until I format and reinstall Windows.

It doesn't seem like there is a fix. =\ Kinda crappy for a $350 peripheral. Maybe someone will release a new version of the drivers that addresses this issue? [Hint, wink, nudge, developers? Not forum mods, cuz I know they've done their best to help]

On the other hand, there are unofficial beta drivers for Mac, and since I got my MacBook Pro, I haven't had the same issue. Sketchup doesn't support the SpacePilot Pro in OSX, though =[

At least Maya works right on my Mac =]
SpacePilot Pro, yo!!
Benville

Post by Benville »

I got through to some very good tech support in London and they were able to resolve my issue very rapidly.

Unplug the device, hold down button 1 and 2, plug it back in. Continue holding the buttons for about 15 seconds (until Windows says it's found a NEW device). This conducts a Firmware Reset.

Once Windows says it's installed the device, go into the 3dConnexion menu and stop the driver, then start the driver. Personally I had to restart my machine, the "Start Driver" option didn't work.

This fixed everything for me just dandy.
giersh

Post by giersh »

That is very helpful indeed! I would have never guessed this thing hhad a firmware reset on it. It says nothing about it in the manual. Thanks so much, Sir(?)!

The mods could even use this tidbit, I bet!
SpacePilot Pro, yo!!
Fred

Post by Fred »

"Unplug the device, hold down button 1 and 2, plug it back in. Continue holding the buttons for about 15 seconds (until Windows says it's found a NEW device). This conducts a Firmware Reset."

This is not a firmware Reset this allows windows to identify unknown devices do to a current still being held by a chip in the device.

You did not answer any of my questions posted prior and said you would get back to me.

Since then you moved to a MAC and if there was a firmware or hardware failure the issue would follow to the new computer.

I still believe your mapping the wrong button editor and its using the defaults from the add-in. Open the button editor by using the menu to open the popup in Sketchup and map accordingly.

Same for Maya this has its own popup menu and button editor.
giersh

Post by giersh »

Whoa...
Grumpy
So I have a "MAC" (not moved to, just have) and the issue may or may not be present, considering the limited compatibility of the product with OS X.

That's A
B: It doesn't matter where I'm mapping from, the issue remains. I doubt that Sketchup has defaults for any of the keys listed in the thread title that are macros for an assortment of keypresses as I described in my first post. That wouldnot jive with that factthat they all work fine at first, in the application.

Aside from that, it seems as though I offended you. For this I apologize. That wasn't my intent. I merely express happiness at a solution that worked, no matter the source.
SpacePilot Pro, yo!!
samanywhere

Re: SpacePilot Pro CTRL,ALT,ESC,Shift keys doing other thing

Post by samanywhere »

I have exactly the same thing while using Rhino on a WIN7 64Bit Pro version. Just happened to me today while rotating my item and pushing either the ctrl or esc button.
Have been using it for 1 year now without any problems.
And also with me it copied the functions of the 1,2 3,4 buttons. Identical what Giersh wrote:
Anytime I press my ALT button, it tries to use button 4, and hits Transition also
CTRL opens a websearch, and I don't even know what button that is
ESC opens 3DC properties, a number pad and decreases sensitivity
Shift opens a new web browser window and increases sensitivity

Not happy since it really slows me down. :(
Very strange indeed.
So it is not due to connecting it to a Mac since I don't have one, nor do I have Sketchup.
I reset my profile to defualt, no change either.
I looked for an update and found that I was not running the latest version. So I updated, but without any positive result.
Release version after update is 3.15.2, Driver version 6.15.2, firmware version 4.11

I'm open for suggestions although I will try the trick with pushing the 1 and 2 buttons.

Cheers,