Camera Mode Unoptimised - Rotation Centre Causing Lag

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

GreyDesigns

Camera Mode Unoptimised - Rotation Centre Causing Lag

Post by GreyDesigns »

Hi, I'm just getting started with the SpaceMouse Wireless - it is a great piece of hardware/software, but I have run into an issue that I believe is caused by a lack of optimisation.

I am using the Spacemouse in all of my software in Camera Mode, this mode should not require the 3dConnexion software to gather any data from my scene in order to place the Rotation Centre, as it isn't used. The camera is moving only based on the input from the controller.

But I'm finding that I get the same lag as when using Object or Target mode - If I hover my mouse cursor over a dense object in my scene, the software will jitter and lag.

In order to get a smooth experience, I need to move my mouse cursor over to the other monitor.

My assumption is that regardless of the setting I use, the software is constantly taking data from my software and using it to calculate the centre point of the asset under my mouse cursor, even if it isn't needed (like with Camera Mode.)

Can you please tell me how to disable this when in Camera Mode / could you please disable this in a patch - as currently it is a waste of resources, and making my software unusable with the SpaceMouse for no reason.

Any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks!
Graeme
jwick

Re: Camera Mode Unoptimised - Rotation Centre Causing Lag

Post by jwick »

Which applications (&versions)?
GreyDesigns

Post by GreyDesigns »

Hi, I have found this to be the case with Unreal Engine 5 (5.0.3) and 3dsMax 2023 (sp1)

I suspect this is the case for all software though, and that code for determining the object centre is just running by default regardless of if it is needed - I'm not sure how to confirm that that is the case however, so is just a theory.
GreyDesigns

Post by GreyDesigns »

This is while using

3DxWare 10.8.8.3488
3DxWinCore 17.8.8.19525