Discontinued SpaceNavigator support

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ctahell

Discontinued SpaceNavigator support

Post by ctahell »

I hate the way your company ends support for fully functional devices such as SpaceNavigator.

I have been using 3DConnexion devices since 2003 and I have been very happy with the device. Actually I can't make it without it on my desk, left to the keyboard, when I use any of the 3D design software that I use: 3ds Max, Unity, SketchUp, ArchiCAD, ABB RobotStudio, and many more.

During recent years I have assigned Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to the SpaceNavigator buttons, and this streamlines my work significantly when I have to copy and paste frequently, between any applications!

I was disappointed when the support for Windows 7 was dropped from 3DConnexion 3DX-700043 SpaceMouse Wireless support, and all our dozen of SpaceMice went obsolete.

In 2015 I started purchasing SpaceNavigators, and now we have more than a dozen of those. Now you have dropped support also from that device, even though the mechanics and electronics work like charm in every single device. I do not need any more programmable buttons except for those two or a fancy display in my 3D mouse, I am perfectly happy with 3D mouse and two buttons.

Why in earth did you have to discontinue support for SpaceNavigator? I have turned many colleagues of mine into SpaceNavigator fans during these 19 years. Since I am working in a university environment, I must update my software to the latest version, and now I am starting to lose support for those.

I hope that you may reconsider your decision of dropping support for SpaceNavigator. Otherwise, you are turning your old customers into enemies!
luping

Re: Discontinued SpaceNavigator support

Post by luping »

... when I use any of the 3D design software that I use: 3ds Max, Unity, SketchUp, ArchiCAD, ABB RobotStudio, and many more.

Since I am working in a university environment, I must update my software to the latest version...

...during these 19 years.
So you don't have to pay for the educational version of all these 3D modeling and robot simulation software licence fees/subscription fees yourself?
And you don't have to pay for the software version upgrade/update fee yourself?
Or are they all pirated version you use in the university environment that you don't have to pay anything to the software vendors that developed all those software?
Are the latest versions of 3ds Max, Unity, SketchUp, ArchiCAD, ABB RobotStudio, and many more still being supported for Windows 7 operating system now?
Have you ever upgraded any computer or computer motherboard/GPU/CPU/RAM/hard-disk over the past 19 years?
Are the old computers/computers hardware still being supported officially by the hardware vendors for Windows 7?
Do you think one-time payment of SpaceNavigator hardware can support many years of people who develop the software firmware/driver on a monthly salary basis?
ctahell

Post by ctahell »

Hey, I'm not talking about Windows 7 anymore. It was a long time ago when 3D Mouse support was dropped.

I wrote:

I was disappointed when the support for Windows 7 was dropped from 3DConnexion 3DX-700043 SpaceMouse Wireless support, and all our dozen of SpaceMice went obsolete. In 2015 I started purchasing SpaceNavigators, and now we have more than a dozen of those.

That was a million years ago when we used 3DConnexion 3DX-700043 SpaceMouse Wireless on Windows 7. Of course we use Windows 10 with those SpaceNavigators. Now the case is different than in those early days of computing, when Windows 7 support was dropped off.

SpaceNavigator is not supported anymore on Windows 10 or any other OS, since the mouse is "outdated", but it's not! It works like a charm. We would like to continue using SpaceNavigators on Windows 10 with the continuing support for future versions of 3ds Max, Unity, SketchUp, ArchiCAD, ABB RobotStudio, etc. We do have educational or academic licenses for all those software packages. Every one of them is legal.

The problem is that as new versions of those software tools are being distributed, 3D Navigator may stop functioning with them.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

SpaceNavigator is not supported anymore on Windows 10 or any other OS,

Really ?
I have not tried ...

I usually have the original Space Navigator + CADMouse on my Mac ....
and the SM Enterprise on my Win11 PC.
(As Enterprise still can't show Icons on Mac anyway)

But my Space Navigator works still fine on Mac with latest Mac driver.
And I even use latest Public Beta of macOS 13 Ventura.