Switching modes in Unity

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Dutchottie

Switching modes in Unity

Post by Dutchottie »

Hi,
Just installed my SpaceMouse Ent and loving it.
After some searching I found the package that I need to install in Unity (currently testing in 2021) to make my SpaceMouse work.
That seems to be okay. The SM works.
However, when I open the menu (of the SpaceMouse) I see there are several modes (walk, camera, object, etc) that I can choose from. It makes sense to me that I should be able to set those modes to the 1-12 buttons on my SM, but I can't find those commands. When I go to the Buttons section to customize them, I do see 3DxUnity3D Editor as active profile. I even see (like on my display) the 4-6 and 10-12 buttons are set to create several objects in Unity.
When I go into the button editor and select a button (say #4 default:Cube) I cannot see any reference in the list to either those default commands (like, cube, sphere, etc) and no reference to the different SM modes in Unity. The 3DxUnity3D option folder (inside the change button action) is empty.

Do I miss something? Is there a possibility to set those modes to one of the 1-12 function keys?

Cheers!

Marco
luping

Re: Switching modes in Unity

Post by luping »

From 3DxWare v10.8.8 release notes:
New: [WIN-1074] Implement plugin for Unity3D. Editor viewports and Game Mode camera
control using a 3D mouse. Unity Editor commands are exported and can be assigned to
device buttons and Radial Menus in the "3Dconnexion Properties" panel. See the
"README.txt" file and related documentation for additional details. Plugin requires Unity
versions 2021 or 2022.
Dutchottie

Post by Dutchottie »

Thanks. I did follow the instructions and I did install the package for Unity without a problem.
And yes, the 3D mouse works and can be controlled using the 3DX menu.
However, the menu that should contain all the Unity 3D options that I can assign to a button (or radial menu) is simply empty. Yesterday after some tim,e, the menu suddenly was populated, but when I started this morning the menu was empty again.
At the moment I'm using Unity 2022.1.15 to test and have only yesterday downloaded and installed the latest driver from your website.

The Readme file does not provide any more information about any issues.

So it looks like the add-on for Unity or the 3DX controller software have some issue in that the application menu of Unity inside the 3DX control program is not always loaded.
luping

Post by luping »

Yesterday after some tim,e, the menu suddenly was populated, but when I started this morning the menu was empty again.
I encountered similar issue before when testing SpaceMouse Enterprise with a specific version of CAD software, it all seems that a specific 3DxWare driver version supports only the stated initial exact version of that CAD software in the release notes, not the subsequent updated minor version. E.g. in your case, driver developers at 3Dconnexion may only thoroughly tested 3DxWare driver v10.8.8 with Unity 2022.1.13 released before the the plug-in is developed based on that version, but not the version 2022.1.15 released after July 12th(timestamp of 3DxUnity3D.msi in 3DxWare64_v10-8-8_r3488.exe).
luping

Post by luping »

Software compatibility issues always plagued 3DxWare driver development from the very beginning since its inception, or it's the driving force behind every version of 3Dxware driver upgrade/update to make the business going forward.