Sharing button profiles between two programs

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Jugleer

Sharing button profiles between two programs

Post by Jugleer »

I've been using my SpaceMouse (Pro Wireless) for a while with a program and have recently changed to a different version of this program, but I want to use the same button/puck profile that I was using with the original app. I'm unable to open the original app so a simple screenshot + copy won't really work, and I can't remember the entire profile off the top of my head.

Is there a way for me to export a profile from an app that I'm no longer able to use, and import it to a different app? I thought to try editing the file resulting from "export settings" to change the name of the old app to the new app, but the .dxz file is encrypted :|

Thanks in advance!
jwick

Re: Sharing button profiles between two programs

Post by jwick »

There's no direct way to do that. I like the idea though.
The file export package is just a zip file. You can open it with any zip understanding program (e.g., 7zip).

The settings for your old app will be on disk under %appdata%\3dconnexion\3Dxware\cfg\<probably the name of your application>.xml

If the saved settings are applicable in the new application, you can copy them over with any text editor (e.g., Notepad++).
If they are specific to the app, or use entries from a different default file, it will be more involved.

It might help to know what the two apps are, but, in general, this is the procedure:

I suggest you run the new program.
Save something using in our GUI, e.g., a button assignment.
This will write a new file for you that is appropriate for your new application.

After that, you can copy all the <ButtonActions> and <Devices> sections from the old XML file to the new XML file.

You might need to PM the files to me if that doesn't work so easily.
Jugleer

Re: Sharing button profiles between two programs

Post by Jugleer »

This seems to have worked! Thanks heaps, jwick!

For anyone who has a similar problem, this was the full path of the .xml files:

C:\Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\<App name (as 3DxWare sees it)>.xml

You'll need to turn "view hidden items" on in File Explorer to see the AppData folder.

Again, thanks a lot jwick! This has saved me a lot of hassle.