What is an ptimal moethod of disabling 3D capabilities at will?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Framed_Previz90

What is an ptimal moethod of disabling 3D capabilities at will?

Post by Framed_Previz90 »

Hello,

I am finnally getting around to having a good go at realising some ideas I have had for the space mouse.

I spent some time reading some of the questions and answers shared on this forum, so I think I have most of it figured out.

On the final and crucial part I am stuck on.

I would like to disable the Space mouses 3D capabilities, so that even when those 3D softwares that support it are active, it will act as a keyboard.

Essentially, being able to toggle between 3D navigation or Keyboard only mode. Toggled via a button press or scripting logic via Python/Autohotkey/Lua

but how can I even turn of 3D navigation in something like Autodesk Maya?

If I wrote a Maya.Xml. Config file, where all the axis are set to trigger keyboard keys, then replace it with the one in AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\Maya.xml, Woud this overide 3D navigation in Maya?

I also read disabling the 3DX driver itself, would this not affect using the axis as keyboard input as well?
My biggest concern is speed, I really need the switch between 3D navigation and Keyboard to be reasonably fast

There may be much better solutions I am not thinking of, if so please let me know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
---My hardware--
Space Mouse Wireless with Latest Driver
Windows 11 64bit PC
Windows 11 64bit Surface Pro 7
ngomes

Re: What is an ptimal moethod of disabling 3D capabilities at will?

Post by ngomes »

Framed_Previz90 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:10 am but how can I even turn of 3D navigation in something like Autodesk Maya?
There's a "Pause" option in the "Advanced Settings" panel for Maya. Is that sort of thing you're looking for?
Nuno Gomes
Framed_Previz90

Re: What is an ptimal moethod of disabling 3D capabilities at will?

Post by Framed_Previz90 »

I did try this to disable the 3DX plugin for Maya from inside maya. It was cumber some. More than that, I am really looking for an external, universal way to achieve this. Every software is bound to have some quircky way to do this inside, I wish to avoid that route.

Thank you for your suggestion though.