Unreal 5.1

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ArchVisKatie

Re: Unreal 5.1

Post by ArchVisKatie »

dot.tominator wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:44 pm Okay, I signed up just so I could post this to help others. For some reason the Windows 3DxWare installer did not install the Unreal plugin, so here are the manual steps to do it.

These are instructions for Unreal Engine 5.1, Windows 11. Your mileage may vary.

You'll need to restart Unreal Engine, so might as well close it now.

1. Install the latest 3DxWare driver. My version was `3DxWare64_v10-8-11_r3519` - January 2023
2. Now, locate your Unreal plugins folder. Mine was here: `C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.1\Engine\Plugins`
3. As the previous post says, look to see whether there is a `Marketplace` folder inside Plugins
4. If there IS, look to see if there's a 3Dconnexion folder. If there is, then these instructions may not solve your problem
5. If there is NOT, or if there is no `Marketplace` folder (because you haven't installed any plugins from the Marketplace) you can create it
6. Inside `Plugins` create a `Marketplace` folder. Inside that create a `3Dconnexion` folder.
7. Now to find the plugin. It will be inside the 3DxWare folder which was created by the installer. Mine was here: `C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\`
8. You can probably figure it out from here, but, inside 3DxWare you will see a 3DxUnreal\Plugins\5.1. Open that up.
9. Inside that folder is the actual Plugin. It's called `TDxUnrealEditor`. Right-click it and choose `Copy`
10. Navigate back to your Unreal plugins folder and right-click to choose `Paste`. That should paste the plugin in there.
11. Now open up Unreal and Edit > Plugins
12. With `All Plugins` open you should see "Built-in" - close that as the plugin category you're looking for (Input Devices) is not in there.
13. Locate the "Input Devices" category, click it and you should now see 3DxUnreal. if it's not activated, activate it.

Finally, in an Editor Perspective view, open up 3DxWare, click Advanced and choose the navigation mode you'd like to use. I like Object Mode because that's how I use it in Fusion360 and OnShape, but experiment with the different modes and see what works for you!

Good luck and happy navigation.
1. There is no 3DxUnreal\Plugins\ folder in that location on my system.
no folder.jpg
no folder.jpg (65.67 KiB) Viewed 5303 times
2. How can I install the 3DConnexion software for UE 5.0? I'm taking a course that was done in 5.0 so I'm not upgrading to 5.1 just yet. I have a copy of 3DxWare64_v10-8-10_r3503.

I'll be upgrading to 5.1 after the course, but for now I need to stay with 5.0.

Thanks!
ArchVisKatie

Post by ArchVisKatie »

Sorry -- wrong screenshot was attached. (I have Epic Games installed on a separate drive. Though it still installs some folders on my C: drive.)

Still would like to know how I might go about installing the 3DConnexion software for UE 5.0.
ArchVisKatie

Post by ArchVisKatie »

eobet wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:27 am Why is the speed of the 3D mouse movement 10x slower during Simulate than when the editor is stopped?

How can I change this?
I have a similar question:
Orbit function has been finicky and hard to set up (kept rolling instead of orbiting; enabled Lock Horizon to resolve), but now the orbit motion is SLOOOOW. I set the speed to maximum, yet the orbit motion is still really slow compared to all other directions of movement.
ArchVisKatie

Post by ArchVisKatie »

Also, the motion in general (UE 5.1, software version 10.8.11.3519) is somewhat jerky; rather like the pop-and-lock motions of the famous "robot dance" style of the 1970's.

By contrast, when I use my SpaceMouse in Blender, it's smooth as butter and behaves as expected.
whatevah

Post by whatevah »

ngomes wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:37 am Version 10.8.11 of 3DxWare 10 for Windows was published today, Nov 30th. The software can be downloaded from here.

In addition to UE 5.1 support, the new plugin includes a new camera actor control feature: the SpaceMouse will control a selected camera actor consistently with the preview window and will "pilot" an actor locked to a viewport.
I downloaded the latest Mac OS version but there is no support for Unreal yet. Do you have an estimate of when it will be ready?
RGE_Visuals

Post by RGE_Visuals »

dot.tominator wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:44 pm Okay, I signed up just so I could post this to help others. For some reason the Windows 3DxWare installer did not install the Unreal plugin, so here are the manual steps to do it.

These are instructions for Unreal Engine 5.1, Windows 11. Your mileage may vary.

1. Install the latest 3DxWare driver. My version was `3DxWare64_v10-8-11_r3519` - January 2023
2. Now, locate your Unreal plugins folder. Mine was here: `C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.1\Engine\Plugins`
3. As the previous post says, look to see whether there is a `Marketplace` folder inside Plugins
4. If there IS, look to see if there's a 3Dconnexion folder. If there is, then these instructions may not solve your problem
5. If there is NOT, or if there is no `Marketplace` folder (because you haven't installed any plugins from the Marketplace) you can create it
6. Inside `Plugins` create a `Marketplace` folder. Inside that create a `3Dconnexion` folder.
7. Now to find the plugin. It will be inside the 3DxWare folder which was created by the installer. Mine was here: `C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\`
8. You can probably figure it out from here, but, inside 3DxWare you will see a 3DxUnreal\Plugins\5.1. Open that up.
9. Inside that folder is the actual Plugin. It's called `TDxUnrealEditor`. Right-click it and choose `Copy`
10. Navigate back to your Unreal plugins folder and right-click to choose `Paste`. That should paste the plugin in there.
12. With `All Plugins` open you should see "Built-in" - close that as the plugin category you're looking for (Input Devices) is not in there.
13. Locate the "Input Devices" category, click it and you should now see 3DxUnreal. if it's not activated, activate it.

Finally, in an Editor Perspective view, open up 3DxWare, click Advanced and choose the navigation mode you'd like to use. I like Object Mode because that's how I use it in Fusion360 and OnShape, but experiment with the different modes and see what works for you!

Gave this a go, but Unreal popped up with a warning stating that 'TDxUnrealEditor' was created for 5.1, but gives you a chance to try launching anyways. After trying to launch a second popup states "Plugin 'TDxUnrealEditor' failed to load because module 'TDxUnrealEditor' could not be found. Please ensure the plugin is properly installed, otherwise consider disabling the plugin for this project." and then the launch sequence dies. Tried a few times, but no luck here.
RGE_Visuals

Post by RGE_Visuals »

This gave 2 errors when launching stating that 'TDxUnrealEditor' is for 5.1. The first warning lets me bypass it and try launching anyway, but the second warning aborts the launch.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

RGE_Visuals wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:38 pm Gave this a go, but Unreal popped up with a warning stating that 'TDxUnrealEditor' was created for 5.1
What version of UE are you using?
keyframe_L

Post by keyframe_L »

Hi everyone,

Any word on when the 5.2 update will be released?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

keyframe_L wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:13 pm Any word on when the 5.2 update will be released?
Please refer to this post.