Unreal 5.1

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

peterbowenpm

Unreal 5.1

Post by peterbowenpm »

Hello
When can we expect a new driver for Unreal 5.1 which has just been released by Epic.
Thanks
Peter
3DModeler

Re: Unreal 5.1

Post by 3DModeler »

Yes! We've switched to 5.1, really needing an updated driver here - thanks.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

It's in the works (and internally tracked as WIN-1152). We need to complete testing before shipping the update.

The software is expected to be released by months' end. I will follow up here when it is available for download.
Nuno Gomes
eobet

Post by eobet »

Why does the official software always have to be one step behind?

There's nothing pertinent to the navigation which has been changed in 5.1 and unofficial alternatives are working just fine without update (and then we have software like Blender which doesn't need the driver at all but still works).
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

eobet wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:57 am Why does the official software always have to be one step behind?
Because of this.

Basically, we don't know what's the compatible "BuildId" number for a new UE version and Unreal Editor will give up the ghost if the plugin does not match it. This is by design of the Unreal Engine.

There are applications 3Dconnexion delivers plugins for and we can seamlessly update the software without impacting end-user upgrading to newer application versions.
peterbowenpm

Post by peterbowenpm »

Thanks for letting us know driver is on the way.
ArchVisKatie

Post by ArchVisKatie »

ngomes wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:19 am It's in the works (and internally tracked as WIN-1152). We need to complete testing before shipping the update.

The software is expected to be released by months' end. I will follow up here when it is available for download.
Month's end is here...any updates?

I tried using my SpaceMouse in UE5.1 but all it does is barely crawl forward/back; no rotation, no nothing else. Works beautifully in Blender.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Version 10.8.11 of 3DxWare 10 for Windows was published today, Nov 30th. The software can be downloaded from here.

In addition to UE 5.1 support, the new plugin includes a new camera actor control feature: the SpaceMouse will control a selected camera actor consistently with the preview window and will "pilot" an actor locked to a viewport.
3DModeler

Post by 3DModeler »

Great update! Looks like the buttons have all changed for the (much) better - I don't even remember what they were before as I didn't bother with them. But changing camera speed, and the rotate/translate mode etc is very useful. Also that camera navigate is lovely, will make that so much easier - thanks!
peterbowenpm

Post by peterbowenpm »

Cool - Thanks for the update and the additional camera actor capability.
attar82

Post by attar82 »

I downloaded the latest version 10.8.11 and it's still not working, only zooming in and out, no rotation. I even installed the old version which was 10.8.10 from my computer and reinstalled the latest version 10.8.11 and still not working. I am using Windows 10 and it is up to date
Any solutions?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

attar82 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:11 pm I downloaded the latest version 10.8.11 and it's still not working, only zooming in and out, no rotation.
There may be an issue with installing the plugin on your system. Check if there is a "3Dconnexion" directory in the UE 5.1 installation directory <path>\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace
dot.tominator

Post by dot.tominator »

Okay, I signed up just so I could post this to help others. For some reason the Windows 3DxWare installer did not install the Unreal plugin, so here are the manual steps to do it.

These are instructions for Unreal Engine 5.1, Windows 11. Your mileage may vary.

You'll need to restart Unreal Engine, so might as well close it now.

1. Install the latest 3DxWare driver. My version was `3DxWare64_v10-8-11_r3519` - January 2023
2. Now, locate your Unreal plugins folder. Mine was here: `C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.1\Engine\Plugins`
3. As the previous post says, look to see whether there is a `Marketplace` folder inside Plugins
4. If there IS, look to see if there's a 3Dconnexion folder. If there is, then these instructions may not solve your problem
5. If there is NOT, or if there is no `Marketplace` folder (because you haven't installed any plugins from the Marketplace) you can create it
6. Inside `Plugins` create a `Marketplace` folder. Inside that create a `3Dconnexion` folder.
7. Now to find the plugin. It will be inside the 3DxWare folder which was created by the installer. Mine was here: `C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\`
8. You can probably figure it out from here, but, inside 3DxWare you will see a 3DxUnreal\Plugins\5.1. Open that up.
9. Inside that folder is the actual Plugin. It's called `TDxUnrealEditor`. Right-click it and choose `Copy`
10. Navigate back to your Unreal plugins folder and right-click to choose `Paste`. That should paste the plugin in there.
11. Now open up Unreal and Edit > Plugins
12. With `All Plugins` open you should see "Built-in" - close that as the plugin category you're looking for (Input Devices) is not in there.
13. Locate the "Input Devices" category, click it and you should now see 3DxUnreal. if it's not activated, activate it.

Finally, in an Editor Perspective view, open up 3DxWare, click Advanced and choose the navigation mode you'd like to use. I like Object Mode because that's how I use it in Fusion360 and OnShape, but experiment with the different modes and see what works for you!

Good luck and happy navigation.
eobet

Post by eobet »

Why is the speed of the 3D mouse movement 10x slower during Simulate than when the editor is stopped?

How can I change this?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

dot.tominator wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:44 pm Good luck and happy navigation.
Thank you, dot.tominator. The instructions are spot on and are pretty much what I was going to suggest if the "3Dconnexion" directory was missing.

Some installations of UE -- we believe -- do not add the Registry data required by the plugin installer.