SpaceMouse and Unreal Engine.

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

itognet

SpaceMouse and Unreal Engine.

Post by itognet »

Listen! 3DConnection. You have to do better....

Unreal Engine updates their software often making which makes the SpaceMouse plugin for UE unusable!
Each time we have to wait for 3DConnection to have their techical team to build a new version and put it online for download and update.
Leaving us unable to run the newest version of Unreal for weeks or months because of this.

I have read threads here on this forum where I beleive that 3DConnextion are answering something like that they have to wait for Epic before they can do their updates.
I understand and can accept that.
But! in 2014 a guy had this problem, SpaceMouse wont run in newest version of UE. So he made his own SpaceMouse Plugin for Unreal Engine (https://github.com/microdee/UE4-SpaceMo ... ses/latest) or even better buy it here (https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplac ... eal-engine)

What is the difference on how 3DConnextion and this guy handles the SpaceMouse plugin. 3dConnextion dont include the soruce code.
And this, ladies and gents is the only reason that we have to wait again and again for 3DConnextion.

Including the source code makes it possible for us to build the plugin ourself for any version of Unreal, more or less instead of leaving us waiting out in the rain.

I understand that new major versions of UE can include things that 3DConnextion have to implement and I can accept that we have to wait in that rare situation.

Bottomline is, one guy is doing 10 times better service and support on the unreal plugin than 3DConnextion does with their whole "tech team"

It took me about 3 minutes to get my SpaceMouse compiled and working in UE 5.03 and 5.1.

Today is 25.11.2022, last driver from 3DConnextion is 7.10.2022.
That is almost 7 weeks with no updates. 7 weeks.
Maybe it is time to re-organize ?
And please give this guy some money for doing your work since 2014 (6 years!)
ArchVisKatie

Re: SpaceMouse and Unreal Engine.

Post by ArchVisKatie »

itognet, have you ever used SpaceMouse in Blender? I'm trying to set up my SpaceMouse to work in UE5.1 like it does in Blender, but it's not behaving the same way. I have the brand-new UE5.1 3DConnexion plug-in released a couple days ago.

I should mention that I'm brand-new to Unreal Engine -- am just starting a beginner's course to learn the software. I'm so used to using my SpaceMouse in Blender, I can't imagine trying to work without it (I do archvis).

I'm also wondering if I would be better off getting the third-party plugin, since 3DConnexion always has a lag releasing their plugin for the latest UE update. Thoughts on that would be appreciated.