KeyboardWSAD Template and speed

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Cdaniels

KeyboardWSAD Template and speed

Post by Cdaniels »

I have been using a spacemouse for years for my job, we recently bought a gaming computer in the home. I wanted to test out using the Spacemouse for gaming. I was able to get the KeyboardWSAD Template to work, the only issue i have been having is the speed in which we are moving. I would like to increase it I'm not sure if i should adjust the deadband or the scale maybe neither. I will say for my job you touch the spacemouse and it makes my work fly across the screen. any suggesting on how i can increase the speed.

thank you
jwick

Re: KeyboardWSAD Template and speed

Post by jwick »

That cfg is setup to use the keyboard repeat rate.

It holds down the key and lets the system repeat until it releases the key. (PressAndHold)

IIRC there are system parameters for how long it waits until it starts repeating, and then how fast it repeats. Unfortunately, this will also change your system keyboard.

The threshold is there to separate the axes. It often doesn't work well when a game gets too many conflicting keys at one time. It depends on the game. It is more of a concern when some of the axes has a modifier attached (shift, ctrl, alt). Then the modifiers may get out of sync.
But in this cfg, once the key is pressed (over the Threshold), it is pressed, until it is later released. The driver doesn't do the fast pressing.

There are other options than PressAndHold if you want to experiment. The driver can PWM the keys, getting faster the farther you push/twist the axis.

BTW, all this pressing/releasing is logged in the driver's log file. You can turn logging on with the 3Dx systray icon.