Spacemiouse Pro Wireless - parallel use on 2 computer

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

SvenT

Spacemiouse Pro Wireless - parallel use on 2 computer

Post by SvenT »

Hey there,
as the support didn´t answer me within a few days I try my luck here in the forum.

My "problem" is, that I have 2 PCs that I use in parallel (I often have to Import/Export jobs that run for hours....).
As my current Spacemouse is to be replaced I am wondering whether the Wireless version can be used on 2 computers.

What I want to do:
- use it on 2 computers (Desktop, Laptop)
- if possible with as less effort as necessary
- if possible no unplugging/replugging a cable at the computer

My ideas:
a) 1 / 1
One wireless connection and one USB cable.
If the USB cable is plugged in, I use it with the computer where the cable goes in the unplugged situation I use the wireless.

Is that possible ?
Does a plugged cable switches off wireless?

b) 2 Universal Receivers
Use a UR in both machines.
But how is then selected, to which machine the mouse is connected?
Is there an easy way in the 3d connexion tool ?

Has the switch on the back any effect?
What happens if I plug an USB connection in the SM but leave the switch off ? Is it then working?

Any help or hint is welcome

Regards
Sven
jwick

Re: Spacemiouse Pro Wireless - parallel use on 2 computer

Post by jwick »

That's an interesting idea.
Attaching the cable will cause it to be used instead of the wireless connection. It doesn't know that it is connected to a different machine.

The switch only turns off the battery, so it is only effective in wireless mode.

The device can not be paired to two different receivers at the same time.
SvenT

Post by SvenT »

So if I connect it wired to one machine and unplug ist from the mouse to use it in wirless mode it should work right ?

S.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Yes, that should work.
TheMouseMan

Post by TheMouseMan »

My Spacemouse Wireless is shared between two PCs. One PC has the USB wire, for charging, and the mouse can be used wired on that PC if I plug it in.

The other PC used to have the wireless dongle plugged in, and worked with the mouse when I unplugged it from the lead.

That setup worked fine. However, I now have a slightly better solution, for me:

I have a USB device sharing switch, which simply switches any connected USB devices between two connected PCs. Sort of like a USB hub in reverse. It's also connected to my normal mouse and keyboard, along with the wireless dongle. So now, when I click that switch to change over the active PC, it takes the wireless dongle with it. That works too, and means I can use the spacemouse wirelessly on either PC. Switchover of the spacemouse is as quick as the normal mouse/keyboard.

I also had the spacemouse USB lead connected to that switch at one point, that also worked. I don't now simply because the physical wiring is easier if I plug my spacemouse USB lead directly into one PC.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

TheMouseMan wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:14 pm I have a USB device sharing switch, which simply switches any connected USB devices between two connected PCs. Sort of like a USB hub in reverse.
I think you may be using a USB KVM switch.
TheMouseMan

Post by TheMouseMan »

I'm using a USB device sharing switch; this sort of thing: USB selector

It's not a KVM switch; it doesn't switch a monitor (unless you happen to connect to it by standard USB) and it has no specific functions to emulate mouse or keyboard connectivity so the 'disconnected' PC doesn't get upset, the way a proper KVM does. That has never been an issue though, in fact some of the KVM switches I've used can get upset with more advanced mice, like those that present as multiple end points on one USB interface.

This just works. My monitor has buttons that I've programmed to change from one input to the other for the few times a day I need to swap PCs.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

TheMouseMan wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:24 am I'm using a USB device sharing switch;

[...]

It's not a KVM switch; it doesn't switch a monitor
Got it. It works with any USB device, regardless of type (not limited to keyboards and mice; no video switching). Thanks for clarifying that.