Mouse pointer keeps wandering off when using Space mouse Enterprise

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

castingflame

Mouse pointer keeps wandering off when using Space mouse Enterprise

Post by castingflame »

I've been enjoying using my new Space mouse enterprise. Every now and then, while using Fusion360 the mouse cursor starts wandering across the screen on its own. Initially I thought that my new Logitech MX mouse 3S may be to blame, but after further investigations, it did not seem that way. How I resolved it was by running Calibrate from the Space mouse app in the system tray.

I am running Windows 11 and all my software and drivers are up-to-date.

Any Ideas how to stop this happening/resolve it?
emushrooms

Re: Mouse pointer keeps wandering off when using Space mouse Enterprise

Post by emushrooms »

Once in a while, Fusion360's mouse pointer will start moving across the screen by itself. At first, I suspected my brand-spanking-new Logitech MX mouse 3S was to fault, but with more inspection, it became clear that this was not the case. Calibrate, an app for the Space mouse located in the system tray, helped me fix the problem.
jwick

Re: Mouse pointer keeps wandering off when using Space mouse Enterprise

Post by jwick »

Background: when the device starts up, it will determine its rest position. If something is leaning against the cap at startup, the springs will move it back to its physical rest position when the force is removed. At that point, it will think the user is pushing the other direction.

Calibrating the device resets that "rest position" to the physical rest position. If the device is clear on startup, but you still have to calibrate often, it would be worth having a talk with tech support to see if it is a hardware problem.

Generally, though, that is going to move a 3D part in F360 though, not the cursor. We don't move the cursor unless manual changes were made to cfg files to assign 2D axes to the 3D axes. If it is not that, there may be something new happening that we will need to investigate. It is interesting that the same Logitech device is mentioned.