Spacemouse Wireless - Normal Mouse Operations

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

DMFcavu

Spacemouse Wireless - Normal Mouse Operations

Post by DMFcavu »

Good day,
First time in the forum, bought a Spacemouse Wireless from the prior owner and really like the ergonomis and feel of it. I purchased it based on very little understanding of its intended use, expecting at the very least I could use it as a standard 2D mouse. Even reading a string of 17 or so messages regarding alternative uses, I didn't really understand if I can accomplish this or not. Did I buy a really good looking mouse only to learn it will never work as I assumed it would?

I did notice and copied the code another forum member posted, but I'm not clear if that's what is needed for non-CAD operation. If so, is there anyone that could offer some guidance on where to load that code and how it's activated or accessessed by the SM?

Not the end of the world, but what a gorgeous look and feel. If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated. Worst case is I have a really cool looking paper weight!

Dennis Fisher
jwick

Re: Spacemouse Wireless - Normal Mouse Operations

Post by jwick »

The SpaceMouse is designed for use in 3D apps. It does that quite well.

While it is possible to use it as a 2D mouse, it doesn't work great in that role. I'd consider it only a secondary usage, for special circumstances.
The software could probably be improved to make it work better as a 2D mouse, but it isn't the focus of the company.

Do you want to use it at all with 3D apps?
If not, then you can tell the driver to always have it behave as a 2D mouse.
If you want to switch between 2D and 3D uses, you can use a button for that, but with only 2 buttons on the SMW, it is quite limiting.
reuivn

Post by reuivn »

jwick,

Thank you for your dedicated support over the years. In 2018 I purchased the SpaceMouse Enterprise as a replacement for my regular mouse due to some carpal tunnel, tendonitis, and other wrist/hand issues (It was fantastic!). It took a bit to get used to and dialed in, but I was quickly able to master it and could even game! (I do not play the fastest twitch shooters, mostly single player or mmorpg so it was perfect) It also made video editing a breeze! All the functions and timeline control bound in my hand.

I returned recently to that old forum post (https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic.php?t=36153) as these issues have resurfaced in my new job but alas; they seem to no longer be compatible with the software as I get errors about it being unable to upgrade or not being compatible.

I, like OP, would like to know how to rebind the mouse to 2d mode for desktop/most applications as well as 3d mode for 3d applications (if I understand correctly, it's possible toggle between?)

Thanks!
Reuivn
jwick

Post by jwick »