New button macro editor

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Magic Man

New button macro editor

Post by Magic Man »

I just can't seem to get the new button macro editor working.
I'm creating a simple named macro than presses the END button. I can see that it basically creates a standalone END macro and calls that, but it just doesn't work.

My old macro works fine.

Stripping it down to just that one, my .xml for that profile shows...
<MacroTable>
<MacroEntry>
<ID>Internal/External</ID>
<KeyStroke>
<Key>4D</Key>
</KeyStroke>
</MacroEntry>
<MacroEntry>
<ID>END</ID>
<KeyStroke>
<Key>4D</Key>
</KeyStroke>
</MacroEntry>
</MacroTable>
<ButtonActions>
<ButtonAction Type="Sequence">
<ID>ID_Toggle_Internal_External_2bcf1bb615594503</ID>
<Name>Toggle Internal External</Name>
<Sequence Pause="120">
<ActionID>END</ActionID>
</Sequence>
[... I've removed the image data for the icon ...]
</ButtonAction>
</ButtonActions>

With the old at the top and new below. Old works, new doesn't. This is on a SpaceMouse Enterprise using button 7.
3DxWare: 10.8.11.3519
3DxWinCore: 17.8.11.19837

Any ideas?
ngomes

Re: New button macro editor

Post by ngomes »

Magic Man wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:02 pm I'm creating a simple named macro than presses the END button. I can see that it basically creates a standalone END macro and calls that, but it just doesn't work.
We tried to reproduce the problem you reported but all seems to work as expected (the "End" key is emulated correctly).

What application are you targeting? Is there also a problem if you create a "Quick Macro" (type the "End" key directly to the button input field in the "Buttons" panel)?
Nuno Gomes
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

Thanks for the reply. As always with these things, it seems to work okay now :D
At least, trying an example in Edge rather than in Flight Simulator works as expected so possibly needed a reboot - I did revert drivers and then came forward again so possibly that, will let you know if any other issues.

One thing though, when creating a simple macro like I did - basically a single keypress - then the macro editor saves the keypress as a macro in its own right and then references it from the named macro, which is great since you can build up chains like that.

The slight 'confusion' is that you get the popup info box for legacy macros if you try to edit them, i.e. the "This function is no longer available for macros in the old format. Please use the new macro editor". Perhaps if it knows this is a 'base' macro and referenced elsewhere then the message could be different and less likely to cause confusion.

Thanks!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Magic Man wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:08 am when creating a simple macro like I did - basically a single keypress
To create a single key press to shortcut, you can enter the action directly on the input field on the "Buttons" panel. Click on the field next to the device button you wish to assigned the action and then press the key or shortcut you wish to program the button. The "macro editor" is meant for more complex actions, a sequence of driver, macros or application commands.
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

Yep, but I wanted a named action on the display (using a Space Explorer) and also the icon editor is a nice addition! I.e. "Toggle int/ext view" for Flight Simulator rather than "END" :D
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

Using an Enterprise sorry.
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

My bad, not working in FS2020. Single key presses are okay but FS2020 doesn't like a macro that is a key press. Outside of FS2020 it works as expected.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Magic Man wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:59 am My bad, not working in FS2020.
What are you trying to do that isn't working in FS2020?

Do you need a "press-and-hold" action like when holding down the Shift or Control keys? If so, that won't work in macros, no. That's because a macro will run the "press" and "release" actions within a few tenths of a second.
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

Literally just the same as a key press, e.g. DEL, INSERT and Y across three of the soft buttons on the Enterprise.

They work fine as literal key presses but the new macro editor doesn't allow you to rename them, e.g. Int/Ext view, Cam, Slew as the previous macro editor did so they just show as the key on the screen, which is why I want them as named macros. Can also use an icon then too.

It works fine outside of FS2020, e.g. in Notepad as a test, a named macro that runs a DEL keypress macro but the same thing in FS doesn't work.