SpaceNavigator won't control anything...

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

emcee2

SpaceNavigator won't control anything...

Post by emcee2 »

Hi.

I now cannot get me SpaceNavigator to actually control anything. I say now because up until about 2 or 3 weeks ago all has been fine. It's weird - and I suspect that something has changed with my computer that might be the cause but I'm at a bit of a loss.

So - to be clear, the Space Navigator (and SpacePilot Pro, and CADMouse) all show up in the 3DConnexion Properties panel. I can make changes there. But if I go into SolidWorks, or Altium, or any of the 3DConnexion applets (Viewer, Collage) there is no movement when adjusting the SpaceNavigator.

You may be asking - why do I have a SpacePilot Pro and SpaceNavigator? If you aren't then skip this long winded explanation:

(start of explanation) I am often still working remotely from home. I work on a Mac mini there; the SpaceNavigator is actually connected to that computer and functions properly with the local apps. I use the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... op-clients to access my work computer that has the SpacePilot Pro and CadMouse connected.

I use the VirtualHereServer on the Mac, and that client software on the Windows computer at work. I believe all of that is working properly - still. It's been fine for the last few years. The SpaceNavigator shows up (still) on the Windows machine, and I can turn on/off the LEDs and also calibrate the SN. Everything seems to be OK in that respect. I think. (end of explanation)

The Windows 10 computer has had a number of updates in the last few weeks - in part because our IT department has implimented new policies and procedures (Intune Management, Bitlocker). I am suspicious that this inability to actually control anything started after those new policies went into place.

I know the 3D connexion add-on is enabled in SolidWorks. I think the same is true elsewhere. Ultimately I think there is something that is not allowing this to work across the whole system, but I'm not really sure where to look for find any hints. Buried somewhere in the Windows Event Viewer?
luping

Re: SpaceNavigator won't control anything...

Post by luping »

What's the 3DxWare driver version number? What's the Windows 10 edition and version?
emcee2

Post by emcee2 »

Hello

I've deliberately uninstalled and rolled back to previous software versions. At the moment I have installed:

Software Versions
3DxWare 10.8.11.3519
3DxWinCore 17.8.11.19837
New software available: 10.8.12
Devices
SpacePilot PRO (FW: 4.11) ! Discontinued device
Cad Mouse (FW: 1.03)
SpaceNavigator (FW: 3.18) ! Discontinued device

Windows:
Windows 10 Enterprise; Version 22H2
OS build 19045.2728
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

I actually went in to work yesterday and my SpacePilot Pro functions correctly - it is local/directly connected to the computer.
My VirtualHere Client/server are up to date and appear to be functioning properly.

The SpaceNavigator shows up properly in both the Windows Device Manager and 3DxWare.

Now I'm wondering if some group policy setting was pushed through recently that has somehow broken this remote functionality, though the fact that Windows Device Manager & Virtual Here Client & 3Dxware can see the device makes me question that.
luping

Post by luping »

Time to tell the employer to upgrade the 3Dconnexion hardware to the SpaceMouse series, as your organisation did to the computers by upgrading the Windows operating system.
emcee2

Post by emcee2 »

Yes, well a new budget year starts next week, so yes, that's a good idea.

Although... after a few other bits of software updating - including the VirtualHere server... the remote control seems to now be working. Arghh. :shock: :roll: :? :lol: :oops:

I know I'm not technologically incompetent, but at moments like this... all I can do is just Smile and Wave.

Thanks.
JanethCampbel

Post by JanethCampbel »

The simplest method is to reinstall the operating system.