Perspective Viewport Flicker - 3DSMAX 2013 (Nitrous)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ken0y

Perspective Viewport Flicker - 3DSMAX 2013 (Nitrous)

Post by ken0y »

I can confirm that when using the Spacemouse Pro to navigate the perspective viewport in 3dsmax 2013 my geometry flickers (appears/disappears rapidly). This only occurs when using the Nitrous driver and not when I use Direct3D. This is extremely annoying considering the performance boost is considerable when displaying turbosmoothed geometry with Nitrous as opposed to Direct3D. It has nothing to do with my A: geometry (i have been modeling for over 5 years), B: Adaptive Degradation, Drivers etc etc.

This is clearly to do with 3DConnexion software and the way the 3D mouse controls the viewport as I do not have the issue when using keyboard and standard mouse. What the hell is going on? Does anyone else get this issue?

K
Bryan

Re: Perspective Viewport Flicker - 3DSMAX 2013 (Nitrous)

Post by Bryan »

Dear ken0y,

It may well be both A: geometry (i have been modeling for over 5 years)and B: Adaptive Degradation, Drivers etc. 3DSMAX 2013 may require more resources in their use of our 3Dconnexion devices than a simple two dimensional mouse. You would want to consult with your 3DSMAX support as to their recommendations and specifications for using Nitrous with our input devices in their latest release as to system requirements, graphic cards, drivers. etc.

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
GunGriffin

Post by GunGriffin »

I can confirm right to this day that 3Ds Max 2014 still has this problem with the Nitrous drivers. In order for the mouse not to experience glitchy behavior, you still have to switch the software to Direct3D or OpenGL. While this is an "okay" workaround to the issue, it's very unfortunate to still see this problem a year later.

The Nitrous viewport drivers are far superior in my opinion to my modeling workflow and without being able to use them, I find myself struggling with wanting to purchase another 3D Connexion product if they don't fix this issue at some point.
I love their products thus far but its stuff like this that makes me lose faith in a company :(.

I have posted a request to fix this ages ago with no response from 3D Connexion and even posted a video showing the problem explicitly... No avail.

Please 3D Connexion, do something about this :(.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello GunGriffin,

I am sorry that you encounter problems with the use of our 3D mouse. As you point out the issue seem to be related to the Nitrious drivers. Those are your favourite driver for Direct X. But for us it is really not easy to support all these kind of drivers. We have limited resources and of course we start with the standards. I will let you know if we can look into this.
GunGriffin

Post by GunGriffin »

Uta,

Well, I do not believe it just a case of Nitrous being my "favourite" DirectX driver. It's "the" driver that Autodesk supports the most and is their recommended driver that they push out to everyone I know. If this problem existed on say, Direct3D I don't thinnk many people would be crushed by that. Nitrous right now is the most popular viewport driver used by 3Ds Max at this point and I think it is a very large market you guys are ignoring by keeping this problem unsolved.

My development team for example was looking into buying a 3D Connexion mouse for our whole team. That's 20 or so 3D Mice we were considering.

Unfortunately after nearly 5 months with no real support on this issue we backed out of the deal entirely. Our whole team is trained in 3Ds Max and Nitrous is the only viewport driver we use.

I understand that it may be difficult to support "All these kinds of drivers" but not being able to support the main and default driver for 3Ds Max? I hate to be rude, but that's almost telling everyone who uses 3Ds Max to suck it up and deal with it. At the very least you should at least cater to the majority of users, which by the way, use Nitrous.

In a very real sense, 3D Connexion advertising that their mice are compatible with 3Ds Max is completely untrue as the mouse will not function properly out of the box.

Even if you do switch to using Direct3D or OpenGL as the viewport driver there are other problems if the viewport isn't glitching out. For example in Direct3D using the 3D Mice when the model has any kind of enabled material kills the performance rate of the program entirely to 3 FPS while orbiting the object. Using the keyboard to navigate eliminates this problem. Effectively if you use 3Ds Max with any 3D Connexion mouse in my experience, you are going to experience some kind of problem.

Personally, I still love using 3D Connexion's products and have jumped through a lot of hoops in order to continue using them. However, I do not believe any amount of hoop jumping is going to be as attractive to any colleague of mine and I cannot recommend these products to any professional that uses 3Ds Max until these issues are dealt with in some way.