Excel?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jafierst

Excel?

Post by jafierst »

Before upgrading to the latest drivers I was able to zoom in and out in large spreadsheets using my SpaceTraveler... Has this functionality been removed?
mweigand
User
User

Post by mweigand »

3DxOffice is no longer part of 3DxSoftware with the latest version available. You can still download it from our website by selecting 'Archive (Legacy Software)' at Step 2.

See viewtopic.php?t=38.
Elucidesign

Post by Elucidesign »

And Furthermore, after spending about an hour on the phone with Tech Support learning whether I just didn't understand the Control Panel's programmatic intent.... or whether there was(were) a bug(s).

3Dconn. : PLEASE VERIFY or Clarify the below info, as needed.

A. Jan.07, 3Dconn. is somewhat unsure of how much they will continue to support "2D" apps. The legacy drivers are avail, but they have not been updated in 6 months, or so, and may not in the future.

PLEASE DO at least support PERFECT scrolling and zooming in Everything Adobe / Office .... We don't design in a bubble of course, and the less I put my hand on the Traveler, the less I'll train myself to master it. and the less I'll recommend it, for ANY app. 1001 things to do today: Whether this puck will work should/will not be one. I switch between: Acrobat / Illus. / Photoshop / Indesign / Rhino 3D / Word / Excel / Solidworks on an hourly basis, while MOST/ALL are running. Unless the device is MORE convenient than the mous/key combo (which is very fast/accurate), I will not use it!

B. The Office Apps Plugin (Legacy) is intended for anything Microsoft; IE, Explorer, Excel, etc.

C. The Acrobat Plugin is looked to by Adobe Illustrator, rather than the AnyApps (general) driver. However, Illustrator doesn't respond at all.

D. Illustrator is NO LONGER recognized (Listed) in the Control Panel, as it was in the last version. Negative! Therefore, it can no longer have a custom config. However, it barely worked in the last version anyway.

E. InDesign is Recognized, but only Zoom works, Not pan. Buttons work. Negative!

F. General Notes:
The application NAME, or application in focus by the control panel displays unusual behavior, depending on app.

1. Excel can List many instances: MS Excel 1, MS Excel 1 Upon opening (these are temporary, but why 2?), PLUS: MS Excel - USERNAME only when a Autosaved custom config is saved.
2. Word only lists one: Word, and then Plus Username when Autosaved, the 'Overall Speed' Setting, and most settings, don't have any effect.
3. Outlook lists one: Outlook, and will NOT autosave a Username config. And the mouse cursor disappears when the SpaceTraveller is sending a 'pan' signal.

As you can see, the legacy plugins are spotty, and tweaky. How can we help? There basic, solid support is much needed!

Sef.
" It is alright to decorate construction, but never construct decoration. " - Pugin
SpaceTraveller 3DxWare: 6018 Firm: 311
Sid Post

Post by Sid Post »

Please keep in mind that some users like myself do not really use 3D apps and have a SpacePilot because of ERGONOMIC reasons. When you have to scroll through enormous spreadsheets and Word Documents in excess of 3000 pages, a mouse will hurt people with bad hands and wrists. The SpacePilot works very well for these types of uses for similar reasons to why people use them with 3D apps.

No more support for MS Office and similar apps will cost you sales when Corporations spend their ergonomic dollars elsewhere.
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hello Sid Post:

I can certainly appreciate your position, and am certain that you won't like my answer, but here goes. We offered 3DxOffice as a "throw-in" for the 3D user -- it was an add-in as an added benefit to the current markets that we target. Text applications are not a focus for our devices.

As for Illustrator and InDesign, we at one time offered configurations for those applications only -- no plug-in support -- to test those markets as well. It never really caught on due to the way the applications operate.

I can certainly appreciate the fact that you wanted a device for ergonomic reasons -- if you are unhappy with your purchase, please send a note to info@3dconnexion.com. Otherwise, you can still use the plug-in for 3DxOffice from our site -- we won't remove it from our website.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
welljr

2D apps

Post by welljr »

Wow. Just asked around our office and the consensus among the design engineers and designers is that they would no longer buy the product without ongoing support for 2D apps. We currently use the spaceball 4000 and space pilot.

About half the engineers at our 500 person company use 3D input devices and it is up to the individual user. I'll be looking for an alternative 2nd input device.
Sid Post

Post by Sid Post »

Our site has over 10,000 employees. Our IT and EHS (ergo people) departments are already looking for a replacement.

This is a good product and I hate to see it go away ... :(
welljr

2 words: Novint Falcon

Post by welljr »

I came across this device and it looks very promising. Early reviewers have been impressed. Check it out. I am going to pre-order one.
http://www.novint.com/novintfalcon.htm
Layer01

Post by Layer01 »

its a shame that 3D connexion can't do what some users have done and make their product work.
RCB9's driver hack might be worth looking into for you guys.

viewtopic.php?t=336

maybe the 3Dx devs will stop being retarded some day and just give people what they want.