"Camera Drift" in object Mode

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

eyeJ

"Camera Drift" in object Mode

Post by eyeJ »

Hello,

I have a problem with 3dconnexion driver breaking the transform of cameras in Maya 2014. I'm using driver version 10.0.19.
When I try to make an animation or synchronize positions of two cameras, when one of them was moved with the Space Pilot things go very bad. With animation camera keys get progressively out of sync.
The same happens when I duplicate a camera. If any of them moved with the device, the old and new copy, in-spite having the pivot centered on camera and same transform coordinates they are in very different positions!

How can this be fixed, using the camera mode is a no go for me because it feels like navigating with my left foot.

Thanks
eyeJ

Re: "Camera Drift" in object Mode, Maya 2014

Post by eyeJ »

I figured it out. The problem is caused by the navigator rotating the object around a dynamically changing rotation pivot.
This causes the object to move without being translated. The result is an offset probably in the transform matrix (but I don't know much about that).
Anyway the solution is to use scripting to subtract the provided transMinusRotatePivot attributes from the translate attributes. This result is in global coordinates
and can be applied with a script to another camera that is not touched by the navigation driver. This way the second camera has predictable animation behavior
and you have the convenience of using object mode navigation without problems.

Animation gurus probably solved this one already but I had trouble finding the solution.
With a bit of experimenting I got where I wanted :)
Hope this helps someone else out there.