Spacenavigator moves object on its own

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ken0y

Re: Spacenavigator moves object on its own

Post by ken0y »

OK, so let me get this right, having the LEDs switched on in 3DXWare 10 causes drifting?

Is this only a problem when connected via a usb hub and not directly to a usb port?

Why is this and can we have some official confirmation that this bug actually exists? Will it ever be fixed?

Cheers
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi ken0y,

this is not correct. You are replying to a two year old topic. I assume the issue had been resolved directly with our First Level Technical Support Team.

The LEDs do not have any influence on the navigation.
dlandis

Post by dlandis »

Interesting that I'm just now seeing this problem after several years of using my Spacenavigator with no issues at all. My problem seems to be temporarily correctable using the opposite procedure of most as the LED's need to be ON in my case to stop the drift.

The LED's are most definitely affecting the drift as I can calibrate with them OFF and my display will drift slowly. If I do nothing more than turn the LED's back ON, the drifting stops immediately. I can restart the drift by turning the LED's back OFF. If I calibrate with the LED's ON, the drifting is gone but turning them back OFF will cause a slow rotational drift to start again immediately.

The drift will reoccur even when the LED's are ON but, so far, can be re-calibrated and the drifting stops again for a time. I'm re-calibrating once or twice a day so it's not a huge deal, just an annoyance.

Drifting occurs in Autodesk Inventor 2016. Have not noticed it in any other applications but it's very intermittent and I'm using Inventor the majority of my day. There is one other station in our office with identical specs having the same problem but his occurs with more frequency than mine.

Windows 8.1 x64
i7-4770, 16Gb Ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 770
3DxWare 10, ver. 10.3.0, 3DxWinCore ver. 17.3.0.12346, Spacenavigator firmware ver. 3.18.

- Dave
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Dave,

your SpaceNavigator is pretty old. From the firmware I assume that it is older than 8 years. This sounds like a symptom of fatigue.
dlandis

Post by dlandis »

Agreed. Didn't know if there was any potential for dust or debris to be collecting inside the mouse that possibly could be cleaned? Also, thought it interesting that my issue seems to be opposite of most of the posts regarding "drifting" in that I have to turn ON the LED's to get it to stop.

Anyway, Definitely love the product and don't see how we ever functioned without it. Will be getting replacements if it gets too much worse.

Thanks for the reply.
- Dave
ken0y

Post by ken0y »

Well, I've had 2 brand new spacepilot pros recently and they continue to suffer from drifting. I don't think it's a hardware fatigue issue at all, there are too many people across the internet (with a variety of devices old and new) complaining about similar issues. I just think that the same old stock response is given EVERY time someone brings the issue up: "Re-calibrate the device", it does NOT solve the issue.

I have a 2 year old spacemouse at work running on windows 7 with the latest drivers and I have not had 1 case of drifting thus far.

The only difference between home and work is that at home I'm using windows 10. I cannot fathom what the problem may be but then again it could be anything.

Cheers
neil

Post by neil »

I have the same drifting issue which started today with my SpacePilot (not Pro)
Working fine with Windows 10-64bit upgraded from 7 when 10 became available
Just changed the hard drive in my PC for a SSD and the Spacepilot driver was not loading. Downloaded the latest one to try and it worked except for the drifting!
I know it is no longer supported officially with windows 10, but it was working beautifully with '10 for more than a year before the hard drive change.
Everything works, buttons, led, motion, but slow drifting is continuous. This causes any open window to scroll up whenever the mouse pointer is in the window. VERY annoying!
Only way to stop it is with very small pressure on the Spacepilot to cancel the drift.
Calibration makes no difference. Even after calibrating when deliberately holding full scroll on the spacepilot makes no difference to the drifting speed when it is released after calibration.
It appears to me it must be a software/driver issue rather than hardware.
I looked for an older driver (which I presume was the one working previously following the windows 7 to 10 upgrade) to try, but couldn't locate one.
Any ideas gratefully received as I really don't want to buy a 'Pro that appears to have the same issues being reported on the forums.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi neil,

the older drivers are in our archive. Depending on which application you are using it might work or not.

You can as well ad a value for a deadband. See here.
ahoym8z

Post by ahoym8z »

I have solved this issue (and over-drift) several times as follows. I think it is related to having more than one Spaceball model touch your machine, or different versions of the software having been installed.
  • Uninstall the 3D Connection software
  • Reinstall and select the Custom option (not Standard)
  • Watch for a menu with three check-boxes. Turn on the last one that says something like "Remove all saved settings"
deftool

Post by deftool »

Installing a new driver made it terribly worse for me. Moving it from a USB hub to a port directly on my laptop solved it.
jortijn

Post by jortijn »

@Amazon62 Thank you so much for the tip to turn off the LED of my space navigator this has solved my issue of auto moving!!!!!!!