3DS Max 2014 SpaceMouse Pro not working

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

azzamunza

3DS Max 2014 SpaceMouse Pro not working

Post by azzamunza »

Hi Guys,

I've been using my Spacemouse Pro with 3ds max 2011 for some time. Now our office has moved to 2014. I have downloaded the latest drivers and still no luck.

Details:
Windows 7 64bit
Spacemouse Pro driver: 3DxSoftware64_v3-17-8_r1730

Space mouse working in 3ds max 2011 and other apps, just not 2014.
Update wizard has installed 3ds max 2014 scripts into their correct locations.
The customise button is visible in max utils but no button mapping can't be made.
The light blue (cyan) cross is visible at origin when max starts. Leaving me to believe the plugin is installed.
No welcome message pops up when max starts and the menu button does nothing.
3ds Max shows up in the 3Dconnexion Properties with all axis activated.
Run as Administrator is un-ticked in both the shortcut and the application executable also. Running as Administrator does not resolve the issue.
I have tried with Direct3D, OpenGL and nitrous. None work.
3dxsrv.exe is not running as administrator and have tried both max and 3dxsrv.exe running as admin and still nothing.
I have tried the Beta Drivers and the Wireless Drivers. Also not working.
I have tried using legacy drivers from older max versions and still nothing.

As you can probably tell. I've searched from top to toe for a solution. Max is obviously seeing something but the two are just not talking to each other.

At the moment it is acting like a paper weight. It does a good job at that actually. I would like it to work with my max 2014 though.

Does anyone have a solution for this.

Kind regards

Aaron...
Fred

Re: 3DS Max 2014 SpaceMouse Pro not working

Post by Fred »

First perform a clean install so your not using corrupted profiles.

This is different than uninstalling/reinstalling the 3dconnexion software, since the 3Dconnexion registry keys and profiles are not removed in a standard re-install .The 'clean install' steps below remove all 3Dconnexion software - previous versions of our software, 3Dconnexion registry keys and custom profiles - then perform a new installation of the software.
http://www.3dconnexion.com/faq/28
azzamunza

Post by azzamunza »

Thanks Fred!

The full clean has resolved the issue and the SpaceMouse Pro is now functioning in 3ds Max 2014! Much appreciated!

Aaron...
azzamunza

Re: 3DS Max 2014 SpaceMouse Pro not working. Missing Mapping

Post by azzamunza »

I believe I have found the issue.

There is a conflict where the saved key bindings in your registry are not available inside 3ds max.
There needs to be a check that all bindings are valid otherwise warn the user as to the missing bindings.

In my example. I had quad menus that disappeared due to a network issue. Because there were not there. When the software setup the interface for the mouse. It had an error and stopped the mouse from functioning.

This could easily be programmed into the plugin. but in the meantime you can make sure your bindings are correct otherwise

1:
Backup the Registry entry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\3Dconnexion\ --to back up the complete settings
then delete the same key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\3Dconnexion\3DxStudio --to remove 3DS Max mapping. Or select the folder where your having the trouble.
Make another backup (different name) of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\3Dconnexion\ --for restoring all your other software setting in case they are removed.

2:
Then inside the 3Dconnexion Properties:
Run the Update Wizard from the Tools Pull down menu.

This will re-install the default settings for all your software.

3:
Check to see if your mouse is working now.
Then Run the registry entry for your other backed up software.
Confirm that your mouse is working again.

Hope this helps a few people out.
aeternali

Post by aeternali »

I have this same problem.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and it does not work.

I have also deleted all the folders and performed the regedit as per the instructions above, it still does not work.

In my last attempt, I did all the same and did a completely clean install of the drivers. The mouse still does not work.

I am running 3DxWare 10 version 10.2.11, 3dWinCore version 17.2.1.11058 and under Devices Spacemouse Pro Wireless REceiver firmware 4.38.

I am about to throw this thing in the garbage. It works in Daz Studio and other programs but not 3D Max 2014.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi aeternali,

is the plugin loaded? Check in 3ds max at "Customize -> Plug-in Manager ..." if you see an entry for "3DXSTD.DLU" and if it is loaded.