Installation fails with .Net 4.5.2

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

spainman

Installation fails with .Net 4.5.2

Post by spainman »

The current 3DXWare 10 installer, Win7 x64 fails with Error 1001 if .Net 4.5.2 was installed on the machine.
Please have a look at it, it's reproducible on several machines.
Fred

Re: Installation fails with .Net 4.5.2

Post by Fred »

Error 1001

Error 1001 indicates an issue with the .NET framework installation.

Check if the "Microsoft .NET Framework" system feature is enabled: open the Control Panel and go to the "Uninstall or change a program", click "Turn Windows features on or off" on the panel's left-hand side and confirm if the .NET option is enabled. If it is enabled, try cycling it: disable the option, reboot, re-enable the option, reboot. After that, run the 3Dconnexion installer again and it should be able to complete.
spainman

Post by spainman »

Yeah, thank you. I already know that canned answer and I'm well aware of the installed .Net Versions:
Working:
.NET 2.0 SP 2
.NET 3.0 SP 2
.NET 3.5 SP 1
.NET 4.5.1

NOT Working:
.NET 2.0 SP 2
.NET 3.0 SP 2
.NET 3.5 SP 1
.NET 4.5.2

Everything is fine till .Net Update 4.5.2 is installed. Just try, see yourself and fix it in the next version. Thank you.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi spainman,

Sorry that you're having a difficult time installing 3DxWare 10.

We did try to reproduce the "error 1001" issue on machines running Windows 7 SP1 x64 with the v. 4.5.2 update of .NET installed. The installation always succeeded.

Could you please go through the process that Fred explained above on one of the machines where you can observe the problem? Try disabling the option (if enabled), reboot, re-enable the option and yet again reboot. Then try the 3DxWare 10 installation and see if the same error occurs.

The 3DxWare 10 installer has a dependency on .NET 3.5. What we have seen is that some machines may apparently have all the required .NET components installed but they are not available. We believe this is related to how .NET components are registered on the system (files are on disk but system will make no use of them). Going through the above process seems to re-run the component registration, enabling the required .NET components.
spainman

Post by spainman »

I already tried the described steps before writing the initial post. The idea of disabling and enabling .NET 3.5 is described in other topics in the forum. It did not help at all.
My machines have VS2013 installed and I added the .Net 4.5.2 Developer Pack (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=42637). It might be possible that this has an influence and that the regular .Net 4.5.2 end user update does not cause problems.

Please list the Net 3.5 dependencies of the installer and I will check what references are missing myself.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

We've tried .NET 4.5.2 developer pack and the install still completes correctly.

We need to see more precisely where the problem is occurring. I believe the issue may be in the installation of 3DxWinCore (driver component).

If you can, please unpack the 3DxWare64 executable and then run the 3DxWinCore installer stand-alone as described below.

To unpack the 3DxWare 10, you can copy the self-extract executable file to an empty directory (for example, C:\temp) then execute the following a command-prompt:

Code: Select all

C:\temp>3DxWare64_v10-1-0_r1774.exe /t:%cd% /c:"3DxWare64 /e /f.\unpack"
Then change directory to the sub-folder "unpack\components64\3DxWinCore" and run Windows installer directly to generate a verbose log:

C:\temp\unpack\components64\3DxWinCore> msiexec /i 3DxWinCore64.msi /l*vx install.log"
If my assumption is correct, you should see the "error 1001" message somewhere during that installation. Make a note of the exact message (it probably points to the custom action that fails) and please send me a zip file with the log on a PM (the log will contain private data like machine and user names and you may not want to publish that publicly on this forum).
spainman

Post by spainman »

Thank you. I will look into as soon as I have some time and let you know.
spainman

Post by spainman »

The problem somehow has disappeared.
- uninstalled 3dxware to perform the installation in the same order (.Net 4.5.2 first, then 3dxware)
- installed .Net 4.5.2
- reinstalled 3dxware -> no errors

Don't know what was wrong but as long as I can benefit from the latest .Net and 3dxware releases at the same time, I'm happy.
Thanks for the support.
Codered741

Post by Codered741 »

I am having the same error. I have disabled and re-enabled .net, and extracted the installer as instructed, and will PM you the log.
Stage Automation Designer
Core i7, 2.8GHz, 24GB RAM
Autodesk Inventor, AutoCAD 2015
fasa01

Post by fasa01 »

Hi ngomes,

i have the same error inside 3dxwincore64 install process.
ngomes wrote:
Then change directory to the sub-folder "unpack\components64\3DxWinCore" and run Windows installer directly to generate a verbose log:

C:\temp\unpack\components64\3DxWinCore> msiexec /i 3DxWinCore64.msi /l*vx install.log"
If my assumption is correct, you should see the "error 1001" message somewhere during that installation. Make a note of the exact message (it probably points to the custom action that fails) and please send me a zip file with the log on a PM (the log will contain private data like machine and user names and you may not want to publish that publicly on this forum).
i have a install.log, but i can't send you an pn over this board, please give me a hint how i can send you this log ...

regards
falk
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello falk,

I will contact you directly.
tschmidt

Post by tschmidt »

I have encountered the same error (Error 1001) during the Installation of the current release (Version 10.2.3 of March 4th, 2015). Please contact me, I have already prepared an installer log file.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi tschmidt,
I have encountered the same error (Error 1001) during the Installation of the current release (Version 10.2.3 of March 4th, 2015). Please contact me, I have already prepared an installer log file.
In all likelyhood, not all the necessary .Net frameworks are installed on your system.

If possible, please follow this procedure:
  1. Remove (uninstall) any 3Dconnexion you may have installed.
  2. If already installed, remove .Net 4.5.
  3. Restart (reboot) the system.
  4. Re-install .Net 4.5 and restart the system.
  5. Attempt to again install the 3Dconnexion software.
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (web installer) can be downloaded from here.
tschmidt

Post by tschmidt »

I followed your instructions, but that did not help. In addition to displaying the error 1001 message, when the rollback operations are done, the setup states that it was interrupted and should be executed again.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

tschmidt wrote:I followed your instructions, but that did not help. In addition to displaying the error 1001 message, when the rollback operations are done, the setup states that it was interrupted and should be executed again.
Sorry about that. Would it be possible for you to send the installation log files to our tech support team (contact details can be found here).

The "1001" error normally means an issue with .NET. The logs should shed some light where exactly.