Is either Space Pilot/Space Explorer anygood for 2D AutoCAD?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

iain2D

Post by iain2D »

Hi,

I use am currently using AutoCAD LT 2006 (probably upgrade soon) as an architectural assistant. I have been experiencing RSI problems in my hands as a result of using the middle scroll button all day everyday (using the on-screens icons or typing is too slow). I have therefore been looking for an alternative to the roller scroll to zoom in/out and pan around.

I have changed my set up so I am using two mice, one in my right hand to simply point the curser and one in my (less painful) left hand to do the roller scrolling and clicking. However, I am now finding my left hand is becoming painful too, because of the roller sroll. I have brought lots of new mice/graphics pens/touch pads etc. Some have helped in terms of the pointing and clicking but I have yet solve the middle roller button problem.

Now this brings me the 3D Connexion products.

1) Is either the Space Explorer or Space Pilot suitable for me??

2)If so, which would be best? As I understand it they are both essentially the same except the Space Pilot can store different combinations of button set ups (?)

3) Will I be able to use the left button click and right button click on the Space Pilot or Space Explorer? Do they both have these programmble buttons? - It has to be easy for me to zoom in/out/pan then immediately be able to find the buttons for left/right button clicks.

4) What will I have to do to zoom in/out and pan around using the either the Space Pilot or Explorer? (What are the motions I will need to do) For example, on the demonstrations on the 3Dconnexion website it looks like you pull the nob up to pan - this looks like it might be alot of effort all day long?? Or are they programmable??

Thanks so much!!!

Iain

P.S (I have posted this letter on both the 'Space Pilot for Windows' and 'Space Explorer for Windows' forums - hope you dont mind.)
iain2D

re:

Post by iain2D »

Actually just to clarify something, I am refering to a standard mouse 'middle button roller' that is causing the problem. I dont own a space Pilot or Explorer as yet and I am looking for advice whether they're any good.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi iain2D

The 3D mice manufactured by 3Dconnexion are designed to enhance the navigation capabilities in 3D applications. However they offer higher navigation comfort in zooming/panning in 2D applications as well.

You can navigate around (or move) your model easily with these devices.

There are 4 products manufactured at the moment. Common to all the manufactured devices is the navigation knob. 3Dconnexion manufactures the entry-level SpaceNavigator (available as a Standard Edition - that means full support, and the Personal Edition - that means only forum support) having only 2 buttons, the SpaceTraveler (for mobile user) with 8 programmable buttons, the SpaceExplorer (for professional user) having 15 buttons, and the SpacePilot having 20 buttons. The SpaceExplorer and the SpacePilot have some dedicated buttons (for example those for increase and decrease the sensitivity, toggle 3D/2D).

The palette of supported applications is relatively large, there is support for AutoCAD 2005 to 2008 and a lot of other professional CAD and DCC applications; the support for AutoCAD LT is not yet implemented but planned (by Autodesk).

The differences between the SpaceExplorer and the SpacePilot are: the SpacePilot has more buttons (20 versus 15), the SpacePilot has a display (which shows the commands currently mapped, the profile used and the current mode of the application).

You can map any functions available from the application you are using which can be called by key combinations in that application.

The pan/zoom function is a normal navigation function which can be used by moving the navigation knob.
agoenczi
iain2D

re:

Post by iain2D »

When you say
"You can map any functions available from the application you are using which can be called by key combinations in that application."
does this rule out putting mouse left button & right button clicks onto either the Space Explorer or Space Pilot??

I have just been told that you cannot do this.
iain2D

re:

Post by iain2D »

in other words be able to perform left button mouse clicks and right button mouse clicks from the actual Space Explorer or Space Pilolt device.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi iain2D

It is not possible to map directly mouse keys to either the SpaceExplorer or SpacePilot. I meant that you key map any function which can be called within your application with a keyboard-key-combination.
agoenczi