3Dconnexion/Blender Beta Feedback

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Ooops! Sorry for the confusion. I will check and let you know.

For the time being you can download the file from here.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Jonathan,

we've uploaded a zip file that includes the *.plug. It would be great if you could again go there and see if this file is ok now. Please let us know your findings as this is a newer version.

Thanks!
thetwom

Post by thetwom »

Hi,

is there a possibilty to get an official 64bit-File for Linux, too. Theres no possibility for me to test this newer version of the plugin.

Is the ndof-integration in Blender still under active development? It seems as there hasn't changed anything since 2007. And it's really hard to navigate in blender with a missing axis of freedom.

Well, in recent time I was asking myself if there's any possibility to support the development of a 6dof-implementation in blender. Maybe it would be a good start, to know something about where to find the files about the responsible code, what the plugin is doing and which tasks are integrated in blender.

It would be great if anyone out there could help with the basic informations.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi thetwom,
it's really hard to navigate in blender with a missing axis of freedom..
Would it be possible for you to explain this with more detail?

The Blender plug-in has a feature that keeps the horizon "locked" (or "level"). This behaviour is by design and does not remove a degree-of-freedom: it makes it easier to keep the scene upright.
Nuno Gomes
thetwom

Post by thetwom »

ok, I see the intention of this behaviour. Im my opinion thats more a constriction than an assistent feature, but for sure thats a matter of taste.

At all I agree that in not so many times users might want to turn around the axis which points into the window. But as soon as you are in top view the behaviour changes because the restricted axis is always related to horizontal view. So suddenly not the axis INTO the window is restrictecd but the axis from bottom to top.

This behaviour is tested in turnable mode. In fly mode everything turns in right direction if the 3D window has a horizontal view. But as soon as change into top view the axis into the 3D-Window is locked.

In my opinion the most useful plausible mode is that one which is used on this test cube programm delivered with the 3Dxsrv-Driver.
jjpr

Post by jjpr »

ngomes wrote:The Blender plug-in has a feature that keeps the horizon "locked" (or "level"). This behaviour is by design and does not remove a degree-of-freedom.
I understand that this can be a handy feature. But, please, how do we turn it off?

Technically, your description is mistaken. Three directions of translation and three axes of rotation constitute six degrees of freedom. If one axis of rotation is "locked" then there are only five degrees of freedom. Claiming that 6DOF is supported is inaccurate unless users can "unlock" that last axis. Is that possible?

Thank you all at 3Dconnexion for your efforts. The SpaceNavigator is a very nice piece of hardware. I look forward to improvements in its software support.
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

This forum thread is one of the topmost links when searching for Blender and Spacemouse compatibility and plugin issues. Most of the download links have long since ceased to work, even the 3dConnexion Blender page is no more...

While not stated anywhere, the Blender plugin apparently only works on 'new' hardware, (Navigator/Pilot/Explorer) and none of the older hardware, even if it is an USB version.

My antiquated serial Magellan Spacemouse Plus XT works great with Blender/Linux, but obviously does not under Blender/Windows.

Is there any developement still being done to bring Windows/Blender support to any of the older hardware? (USB or serial)
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Tehrasha,

the development for the legacy devices (as your serial SpaceMouse is one) is not continued. Did you try 3DxSoftware 2.8.2 for your SpaceMouse? I don't know how old it is - if it is too old this software version won't work, but if it is one of the last serial models you should be able to get the device work at least with the demos. I am not sure if the plugin for Blender works with a legacy version of 3DxSoftware.
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

My spacemouse does work fine with the demos in Windows. My biggest concern was the Blender plugin, which doesnt work with it, and if any there was any hope of further developement.

So far none of the search results or forum posts about legacy hardware developement and Blender have clearly stated yes or no.

So, correct me if I am wrong, but your post looks like the answer is 'No'. The Blender plugin does not work with legacy (USB or Serial) Spacemice, and there are no plans to continue any developement in that direction.

If that is the case, at least future searchers with old gear will now see these posts and realize they are out of luck and can quit looking.
Veedoo

Post by Veedoo »

Coming back to the main topic :) Is SpaceNavigator going to be supported in Blender 2.5? For now it seems it doesn't work... (at least with alpha 2 version).
Riven

Post by Riven »

I would love to see an update to the drivers for Blender since the drivers don't work with most of the current versions of the beta or stable build of Blender at least on my computer they don't (Win XP Pro-32bit). Also, Blender is really a great 3d program to use and could benefit greatly from a 3d input device.

:?: What version of Blender was the Blender drivers made for?
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

Riven wrote:What version of Blender was the Blender drivers made for?
Using the current models Space Navigator/Pilot/Explorer...
The plugin works fine with the previous stable, Blender 2.49.
Same plugin does not work with the current 2.5b3 release.

If you are using one of the discontinued older generation of Space Mice you are out of luck in Windows.
Riven

Post by Riven »

I have the standard SpacePilot which I got like last year. Using the most recent drivers:
Driver Version 6.11.1
Release Version 3.11.3
Firmware Version 3.12

Using the current stable Blender 2.49b with Python 2.6.5.

I added the 3DxNdofBlender.plug to the default blender plugin folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\Blender Foundation\Blender\plugins
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

Riven wrote:I added the 3DxNdofBlender.plug to the default blender plugin folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\Blender Foundation\Blender\plugins
I think thats the wrong folder.
Try this...

C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\plugins\
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

Correction::::

Mine is the application plugin folder.

C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\plugins\3DxNdofBlender.plug