Things I would like to see changed/implemented

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Massamino

Things I would like to see changed/implemented

Post by Massamino »

I have an Enterprise version, so I don't know how this applies to the others.

- Icon support on Mac (maybe via the solution I'll present later).
- Group macros in programs so you don't have to prefix them on Mac (Select program then show macros available/created for this program) (in Windows they only show when target program is open, but I guess you can't hook into a program this way on Mac?).
- Custom icons for the buttons (use png files or something) Mac & Windows if the program is not supported by default.
- Even better would be we could customize the whole display so you could alter the background to match the program in question (in layout color for example). In windows I saw it creates a tiff file on every program change, so I don't think it would be that hard to do this in the Windows version (load background image, load icons (or implement them in the background), set text color, create tiff :) ). And in this case add an option to not show the title of the program. It is already custom made, so we can than insert the text for that program in the background image.

If these ideas would be in the settings gui it would be great, if not, I'd be happy if this was possible in xml files. Maybe a manual how to use the xml files would come in handy then.

Thanks for listening :)
Magic Man

Re: Things I would like to see changed/implemented

Post by Magic Man »

+1 :D
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

many of my SpaceMouse Enterprise profiles have 12 custom macros. After realising that each custom macro has the same icon I switched to text only display. But soon after I switched back to icon+text display because it's better in general use.

Custom icons for custom macros would be quite an advantage. But I assume it would make things more complicated for the majority of users. For me the solution is simple: custom macros without icon display, only text.

Like this we would still have the advantage of icon display which makes each command more recogniseable to the eye, as well as avoid the disadvantage of custom macros with identical icons.
Space Navigator x2, Space Pilot, Space Pilot Pro, SpaceMouse Enterprise
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

Looking forward to playing with those extra buttons and macros attached to them when my Enterprise arrives :D
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

you won't be disappointed. The SpaceMouse Enterprise combines the advantages of the SpacePilot and the SpacePilot Pro, two very good devices.
jwick

Post by jwick »

You can change the icons displayed in the GUI. They are named in files you have access to.
Good suggestion about changing the background color, font, etc.
Everything is driven through the tiff file you have found. If you replace that with a correctly formatted file, the driver will display it. Of course, other components will try to immediately overwrite it, so I'd have to tell you how to disable that.

It's nice to have guys like you thinking about advanced usage of the devices.
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

Will be giving things a go when I get to try my Enterprise out, just opened it and love the better button feel over the SP Pro.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

jwick wrote:You can change the icons displayed in the GUI. They are named in files you have access to.
this is good news.

What I found is the sp3.lcdcfg.tiff in %appdata%/local/3Dconnexion/3DxWare/Cfg. This tiff gets overwritten every time one switches to another application, is that correct? Now we just need to know how exactly this file is created in order to influence this process, to create custom icons. I guess. Where is the location of those named files?

I would also like to influence the background. I'm an f.lux user (https://justgetflux.com), and at night the Enterprise display is too blue. I'd like to have an option to change the background to a warmer hue (and probably leave it like that, also in day time).

Or to create a completely different background with low opacity graphics. If it's possible, why not?
jwick wrote:It's nice to have guys like you thinking about advanced usage of the devices.
it is nice to have guys like you with an open ear and open mind, providing us with these detailed knowledge how the devices work. I (we) appreciate this very much.
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

Phil999 wrote:
jwick wrote:it is nice to have guys like you with an open ear and open mind, providing us with these detailed knowledge how the devices work. I (we) appreciate this very much.
Ditto, totally agree. It's only when you start using these devices (and the beta software that I know both Phill999 and myself have experienced - a lot of which, sadly, wasn't released) that you can see what can be achieved and how versatile they and the software running them potentially is.
IgorZH

Post by IgorZH »

:P 8) :?: :?: