Stop using spray-on rubberised finish

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

yu_samson

Re: Stop using spray-on rubberised finish

Post by yu_samson » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:26 pm

yu_samson wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:01 am
Newer SpaceMouse Pro devices will not have the rubber coating.
I would like to make a slight revision here.

Correction: "New SpaceMouse Pro devices will not have the poor quality coating of older releases that becomes sticky easily."

Barrowwight

Re: Stop using spray-on rubberised finish

Post by Barrowwight » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:48 am

Thanks yu_samson for this tip.

I have had a SpaceMouse for some time which had developed the characteristic sticky surface so had become virtually unusable. I thought the whole panel was disintegrating and, until I read your post, had not realised this was just a coating.
By carefully following your instructions, I have restored my valuable SpaceMouse to a working device.
One thing I did find was that by popping the buttons off, it was easier to work on the main surface and the four number buttons.

It seems a shame that, judging from previous posts on this topic, some people have actually discarded their products.

It is good that 3Dconnexion have discontinued the use of this process.
When considering the purchase of a CadMouse recently I was nearly put off by the appearance in the photos of what seemed to be the same surface finish.
Happily, although there is a “soft touch” surface on the CadMouse, it does seem to be a different and hopefully superior material.