Stop using spray-on rubberised finish

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

pami

Stop using spray-on rubberised finish

Post by pami »

This is a general request for all products going forward.

The recent trend for using 'soft-touch' rubberised finishes - which are usually spray-on applications should be stopped entirely. While the finish looks and feels great initially, these finishes are not at all suitable in tropical climates with relatively higher ambient room temperatures (30-35C) and high humidity (85%). Within 12 to 24 months in such a climate, the finish will 'melt' and become a disgusting, sticky mess.

This finish has become popular in the last 5 years or so and is used on many devices such as mice, cameras, mobile phones etc. Every single device I have bought using this type of finish has become useless specifically because of this finish. If you're going to use plastic anyway, just leave it as plain plastic without any spray-on finish - it's not necessary, it will reduce production cost and will increase the durability of the product.
prowlmedia

Re: Stop using spray-on rubberised finish

Post by prowlmedia »

why do you think they do this... to make you buy a new one when they go sticky of course!

What annoys me about this it's I would alway buy the latest version... but it kills the resale value. Which then perhaps denies someone entry to the joy of using a space mouse there for losing 3dCx future potential customers.
dissymmetry

Post by dissymmetry »

In the meantime, you can try cleaning it off with Lemon Oil. It will eat away any glue or adhesive fairly quickly while leaving plastic unharmed, is easy to clean up after and leaves a nice fresh scent when finished.
Anshula579

Post by Anshula579 »

Lemon Oil certainly will help.
pintom

Post by pintom »

Yes please stop using this terrible spray on rubber on these expensive input devices! This stuff only lasts a year or 2 before it becomes a sticky/gooey mess on my Space Mice!! We pay way too much money to have this happen to our devices. To me this is a defective product when the finish becomes sticky because we cannot use the devices.
3dconnexion Hardware: SpaceMouse Pro USB, CADMouse
Computer: HP ZBook Studio G3
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

ah, this could be the explanation we were searching.

https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewt ... =30#p73405
Space Navigator x2, Space Pilot, Space Pilot Pro, SpaceMouse Enterprise
ihabkal

Post by ihabkal »

Hi,
Same issue here in Auckland, I ended up putting tape all around the nob and then I bought a new one and kept the ugly sticky one as a backup. Nasty stuff for such an expensive accessory.
euroglot

Post by euroglot »

same over here in Europe
rubber becomes sticky and is peeling off
very cheap and poor quality for such a high priced item.
indeed 3D connexion should come up with a refund or replacement of mouse.
But as usually they are only interested in selling there stuff
customer-satisfaction is not in their dictionary, very weak for a company who spend a lot of money on advertising
that they sell high class products
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi all,

if your device is still under warranty please contact our Technical Support Team. They will start the exchange for you.
pintom

Post by pintom »

Sadly the sticky rubber coating problem only happens after the warranty is up on these products. I got fed up and tossed my Spacemouse because it was unusable due to this sticky mess on the rubber coated surfaces.
3dconnexion Hardware: SpaceMouse Pro USB, CADMouse
Computer: HP ZBook Studio G3
glennlynch

Post by glennlynch »

In our office we have several spacemouse's (4x) and a single Spacemouse Pro.

At least one of the Spacemouse Knobs has started to go sticky, but the biggest concern is the Spacemouse Pro!
The knob is OK, but the rest of it!!!
This device is several years old, but has had minimal use and non in the last 18 months, (The original operator left the company, and it's been sitting on the unused desk)
20200421_154858 (Small).jpg
20200421_154858 (Small).jpg (115.34 KiB) Viewed 120670 times
20200421_154903 (Small).jpg
20200421_154903 (Small).jpg (102.21 KiB) Viewed 120670 times
20200421_154853 (Small).jpg
20200421_154853 (Small).jpg (112.78 KiB) Viewed 120670 times
For the price paid for these, the quality is terrible!
It there anything that can be done?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi glennlynch,

we apologize for the problems you are seeing. Please contact your local 3Dconnexion Sales representative and ask if there is a solution for your problem.
luping

Post by luping »

glennlynch wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:34 pm In our office we have several spacemouse's (4x) and a single Spacemouse Pro.

At least one of the Spacemouse Knobs has started to go sticky, but the biggest concern is the Spacemouse Pro!
The knob is OK, but the rest of it!!!
This device is several years old, but has had minimal use and non in the last 18 months, (The original operator left the company, and it's been sitting on the unused desk)

20200421_154858 (Small).jpg20200421_154903 (Small).jpg20200421_154853 (Small).jpg

For the price paid for these, the quality is terrible!
It there anything that can be done?
The investment on the 3D mouse should already be returned over the years.
yu_samson

Post by yu_samson »

Hello everyone,

I bought a brand new, sealed-in-box, 3D SpaceMouse Pro. Upon breaking the seal (and to my horror), I realized the 3D SpaceMouse Pro was rubber-coated and it was disgustingly sticky!

Sticky, sticky, sticky!!!
I was horrified!!
Bad_SpaceMouse.JPG
Bad_SpaceMouse.JPG (92.15 KiB) Viewed 111417 times
The excitement that was building up in me turned into anger, especially considering how expensive this device is. What kind of Product Designer would even think of spraying a tacky and rubbery coating on their mouse!? Trying to clean the sticky surface with a damp cloth just makes it worse, as the lint and fibers from the cloth just sticks to the SpaceMouse!!

After stepping away for a few minutes to calm down, I quickly got to work to save the SpaceMouse.

THIS IS MY TUTORIAL TO "SAVE" YOUR 3D SPACEMOUSE PRO!!

Shopping Guide:
Tamiya Fine Compound
Tamiya Finishing Compound
95% Isopropyl Alcohol
Disposable Microfiber Cloth
Polishing Cloth
Q-Tips
Chemical Respirator
Apron
Safety Gloves
Safety Glasses
2 Towels
Supplies.JPG
Supplies.JPG (239.15 KiB) Viewed 111417 times
CAUTION:
Isopropyl Alcohol is dangerous to your skin and eyes. The vapors from this chemical is also dangerous. Wear safety glasses to protect your eyes against chemical splashing. Put on an apron to protect your clothes. Wear a respirator to protect against dangerous vapors. Wear safety gloves. Work in a well ventilated space. Be careful not to spill the Isopropyl Alcohol! If your skin contacts the Isopropyl Alcohol, wash it with warm water and soap.

1) Lay 2 layers of towels over your work area in case of accidental spillage of chemicals.

2) Put on your safety equipment.

3) Dampen the microfiber cloth with Isopropyl Alcohol and begin wiping the rubber-coated areas of the SpaceMouse. When your cloth gets dry, dampen it again with Isopropyl Alcohol and keep wiping. As you wipe, notice the cloth begins to darken as the rubber coating starts coming off. This process of removing the rubber coating from the SpaceMouse takes time, so be patient and keep rubbing until you get a nice smooth surface.

4) Dampen the head of a Q-Tip and stick it under the knob of the SpaceMouse to wipe the surface below it. The Q-Tip will turn black as the rubber coating begins to come off. When the Q-Tip gets blackened, throw it away and use a new one. Repeat this process until it's nice and clean.

5) When you have removed the rubber coating from the entire SpaceMouse to your satisfaction, apply a little Tamiya Fine Compound to the polishing cloth and begin polishing your SpaceMouse until it starts to shine.

6) After you have thoroughly polished the SpaceMouse, apply the Tamiya Finishing Compound to the polishing cloth and polish the surface of the SpaceMouse until you get a mirror finish. Keep polishing until you are satisfied with the result.
Clean-1.jpg
Clean-1.jpg (228.27 KiB) Viewed 111417 times
That's it!
You have saved your SpaceMouse Pro, and it should look and feel better than before!!
Give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done!!
yu_samson

Post by yu_samson »

Hello everyone,

I would like to add a "disclaimer" for my tutorial on how to remove the sticky rubber coating from the SpaceMouse Pro, that I mentioned in my earlier post.

DISCLAIMER:
The tutorial I provided on removing the rubber coating on the SpaceMouse Pro is provided as is. 3Dconnexion employees, its affiliates, and the Poster are not liable for any damages or injury that may result. Please follow the tutorial at your own risk. Attempting to remove the rubber coating on the SpaceMouse Pro may void your warranty. It is recommended that you consult with your retailer for a product replacement if your warranty is still valid.

A 3Dconnexion staff member confirmed that my SpaceMouse Pro was produced in 2013.
Newer SpaceMouse Pro devices will not have the rubber coating.