Editor to assign custom icons

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Wreubzaet

Editor to assign custom icons

Post by Wreubzaet »

I'd like to share with you two requests for improvement from my experience with the 3DxWare drivers in Creo Parametric with the SpaceMouse Enterprise.

1) Custom mapkey icons are not displayed on the display, only the default (smiley) icon. I'd love to to see this implemented, since I have made many custom mapkey icons. This might be a Creo specific issue?

This leads me to my main request:

2) Please implement some kind of menu/editor to assign a custom icon to a command or macro, which can be used with any software.
This would also work as a workaround for the first item. A radial menu with 8 identical icons simply does not improve usability ...

I tried setting up custom icons myself by using the instructions in other forum posts, but so far without success. I'm missing clear instructions on:
- which files
- in which locations must be edited
- what sections of these files must be edited and
- what the correct syntax is

For the time being clear instructions on how to set this up will do, but implementation of this functionality in the driver would be great.
Fyuzinfected

Re: Editor to assign custom icons

Post by Fyuzinfected »

Hi!
Is there any news about this?
Greetings from Portugal.
Fábio Martins
nwink

Post by nwink »

I to am looking for information regarding setting custom icons (.png) to Macros I have created in Microstation.

Has there been any updates to this problem? I was trying to piece together information given on other posts but they aren't crystal clear and I don't want to mess up my mouse.

Great tool, but could be so much more useful with a custom icon generator or instructions to do so. Had a lot of people in the office interested in the device, but a lot were turned off because of this hiccup.
AxeGunKnife

Post by AxeGunKnife »

I, too, could not customize the icons in the radial menu. I also asked the developer questions in other branches. But .... they did not answer me.
dylanren99

Post by dylanren99 »

Would love this to be a official supported option, tried going into the code and coding it but not much luck.
sstephenson1x

Post by sstephenson1x »

A short note to support this request for an editor. It's more useful to see within the radial menu: hide, show, or delete, rather than Keystroke Control+b, Keystroke +.... The ... is meaningless and the menu is no longer meaningful.
MakerinTraining

Post by MakerinTraining »

I am also interested in this feature, or at least a clear post detailing how to do it manually. . .
KantC

Post by KantC »

I have the same interest especially for radial menu.
For 8 secments that only show generic icon with a split second of macro name is very difficulty to use. When having multiple applications set with different set of macro, it is almost counter productive to use this high potential interface.
Hope the hear good news from 3dconnextion soon.
In the mean time, I need to return what I purchased.

Good product, good material , good potential.
Thank you.
mug3d

Post by mug3d »

+1

For me that's "top priority"
mug3d

Post by mug3d »

or at least a clear post detailing how to do it manually. . .
A short video or gif, YouTube wiuld be nice
Fyuzinfected

Post by Fyuzinfected »

In the meantime already released version 10.5.11 and there is no news about this subject.
It is very sad to know that I have paid a high amount for this equipment with such useless functions.
Greetings from Portugal.
Fábio Martins
JDI

Post by JDI »

I want this feature! And a way for me to customize the knob function. Why would you work at making specific programs usable yourself? The Adobe CC support hasn't worked for me even once. Let me map my own functions to the knob. It would be such a better and more versatile product.
npacholko

Post by npacholko »

I would love to have this feature as well. I use a Spacemouse both at work and at home, and my fellow employees who use it agree.
Wreubzaet

Post by Wreubzaet »

Just wanted to let oy know I still -really- miss the an editor or manual to use custom icons on the radial menus... Developers please implement this!
Wreubzaet

Post by Wreubzaet »

Hello everyone. As a workaround until hopefully an editor to assign custom icons will be implemented, I have been trying to figure out how to replace the default Creo mapkey icons in the radial menus by my own icons, i.e. the custom icons I made which are displayed in Creo menus. I have all the icons as separate .png files in a folder on my PC.

I found that every time I run Creo several .XML files are created in g:\AppData\Local\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\Ext\ e.g.
5224.96752288.commands.xml
5224.96752288.images.xml
5224.96752288.settings.xml

The images.xml is the only file I could find which contains references to the used icons. When I replace the icon reference by the correct .png file reference the radial menu shows the correct icon. For example I replaced:
<AppCmdID>ProMacro xa</AppCmdID><Image Type="File"><File>C:/Program Files/3Dconnexion/3DxWare/3DxWinCore64/Cfg/Images/STR_PROE/Creo-Mapkey.png</File>
by:
<AppCmdID>ProMacro xa</AppCmdID><Image Type="File"><File>e:/PTC/config/Mapkey_Icons/Cross section A_32.png</File>

So far so good...

However, these .xml files are deleted when closing Creo and recreated upon each program start (with a different number in the filename). So the driver seems to pull the menu information from somewhere else to recreate these files. I suspect these are created on the fly from the current Creo config? Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case then probably the only way to get the correct icons is to replace the .xml file by a backup with the correct icons after each program start...
Or is the icon information pulled from somewhere else where I can safely edit it without it getting overwritten every time?

Many thanks in advance for any help!