CAD mouse durability

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Simon_Weel

CAD mouse durability

Post by Simon_Weel »

Since early 2016, we use a bunch of CAD-mice. The users are very pleased with them. But... In terms of durability, they fall short IMHO. Last week, I sent in the third support form for a defective CAD mouse. Still within warranty, and a new one has already been delivered, just like before. But it shouldn't be necessary for such a pretty expensive piece of hardware. The troubled mice all suffer from a defective left mouse button. It sometimes either doesn't respond or it responds with a double mouse-click.
Furthermore, the glide pads at the bottom wear off pretty fast, making it harder to move the mouse around over time. A spare set of glide pads would come in handy.
And then there's the metalized plastic rim around the bottom. It also wears off, making it look shabby.

As said, it's pretty expensive mouse compared to other 'regular' mice and as such, I expected a high built-quality? They should last longer as two years, just like the (cheap) Logitech mouse one of my colleagues is pushing around for the last ten years without any problems....

What are your experiences with the CAD mouse?

Simon
UtaSH

Re: CAD mouse durability

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Simon_Weel,

I apologize the inconvenience that you have due to the trouble with our CadMouse devices. We are aware about the issues with the buttons and have already changed the material we are using. The same applies to the metal coating of the bottom frame. We are using a different material for the bottom frame since more than a year. This means you should not get these kind of problems anymore with the replacement devices. All CadMouse devices that were produced in 2017 do not show these problems.

For the issue with the worn-off glide pads on the bottom of the device this is not something we hear often so far. Can you tell me how many devices have this problem (our of how many devices you have in total)? We can send spare feet for those devices that show this issue. In addition we are interested in the material of the surface that you have for the users of the CadMouse. Are they using the device directly on the table (what material is the table) or are they using a mouse pad? If yes, which one in general?
dlkeener

Post by dlkeener »

Durability, out of the 4 we have, one was dropped, landed on the wheel.
part of the shaft is broken, and since it was opened, they will not replace.
all we need is a wheel, and there are no spare parts stocked.
As noted, these mice are pricey and would have expected spare wheels to have been stocked.

I'm a bit surprised that there are parts available for the gliders on the bottom.

How well do they like the mice, 3 of the 4 users have replied, they are really nice.
One prefers his gaming mouse...

thanks for reading
pascal06

Post by pascal06 »

Hello there,
I've got the same issue than Simon_Weel on a Cadmouse Wireless: the glide pads wear off very fast !
Nevertheles, I use it with a "CadMouse Pad"
Take a look at this photo:
It's a bit disappointing for a mouse bought in mid 2017 !
I think it could be a great idea to sell some spare parts, like theses glide pads.
Where can I find them ?
Thanks in advance !

Pascal
Attachments
IMG_20181210_0835118.jpg
IMG_20181210_0835118.jpg (97.66 KiB) Viewed 106322 times
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello pascal06,

please contact our Technical Support Team. They should be able to get you a pair of spare gliders for your CadMouse.
pascal06

Post by pascal06 »

UtaSH wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:01 am Hello pascal06,

please contact our Technical Support Team. They should be able to get you a pair of spare gliders for your CadMouse.
Hi UtaSH,
thanks a lot for your help.
I'll contact them soon.

Best regards,

Pascal
andrewbwr

Post by andrewbwr »

Simon_Weel wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:56 am Since early 2016, we use a bunch of CAD-mice. The users are very pleased with them. But... In terms of durability, they fall short IMHO. Last week, I sent in the third support form for a defective CAD mouse. Still within warranty, and a new one has already been delivered, just like before. But it shouldn't be necessary for such a pretty expensive piece of hardware. The troubled mice all suffer from a defective left mouse button. It sometimes either doesn't respond or it responds with a double mouse-click.
Furthermore, the glide pads at the bottom wear off pretty fast, making it harder to move the mouse around over time. A spare set of glide pads would come in handy.
And then there's the metalized plastic rim around the bottom. It also wears off, making it look shabby.

As said, it's pretty expensive mouse compared to other 'regular' mice and as such, I expected a high built-quality? They should last longer as two years, just like the (cheap) Logitech mouse one of my colleagues is pushing around for the last ten years without any problems....

Simon
I find the overall quality of the 3DConnexion CADMOUSE Wireless to be sub par even when compared with computer equipment in a price range as low as 900% less than that of the 3DConnecion Cadmouse Wireless. I could have bought mouses for the rest of my career but now spent that money on a mouse that degrades daily.
Antehelix

Post by Antehelix »

Helo Simon
I agree you in all terms. I'm suffering all issues you describe. A person from support send me a "solution" that didn't work. So, i'm looking for another mouse because i don't want to spend so much money in a low quality one.
pascal06

Post by pascal06 »

dlkeener wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:27 am Durability, out of the 4 we have, one was dropped, landed on the wheel.
part of the shaft is broken, and since it was opened, they will not replace.
all we need is a wheel, and there are no spare parts stocked.
As noted, these mice are pricey and would have expected spare wheels to have been stocked.
Hello,
2 years ago I'd got the same issue: I dropped my mouse, and wheel's shaft was broken ! Impossible to repair, very annoying !
So I trashed my mouse after only 2 years of use.
luping

Post by luping »

andrewbwr wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:36 am
Simon_Weel wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:56 am Since early 2016, we use a bunch of CAD-mice. The users are very pleased with them. But... In terms of durability, they fall short IMHO. Last week, I sent in the third support form for a defective CAD mouse. Still within warranty, and a new one has already been delivered, just like before. But it shouldn't be necessary for such a pretty expensive piece of hardware. The troubled mice all suffer from a defective left mouse button. It sometimes either doesn't respond or it responds with a double mouse-click.

Simon
I find the overall quality of the 3DConnexion CADMOUSE Wireless to be sub par even when compared with computer equipment in a price range as low as 900% less than that of the 3DConnecion Cadmouse Wireless. I could have bought mouses for the rest of my career but now spent that money on a mouse that degrades daily.
when compared with computer equipment in a price range as low as 900% less than that of the 3DConnecion Cadmouse Wireless
The CadMouse Wireless price is 99 USD, 900% is 99X9=891, 99-891=-791 USD, "as low as 900% less than that of the 3DConnecion Cadmouse Wireless", so do you mean you bought a computer equipment that the seller paid you 791 USD to sell you the computer equipment? It's absurd. What's wrong with your math calculation?
luping

Post by luping »

To replace the original worn-out mouse feet, you may have to buy third-party mouse feet.

To fix the broken mouse scroll wheel and its wheel encoder, search them on Amazon/Aliexpress/Ebay/mouseclub, the specification is 9mm mouse scroll wheel encoder, TTC yellow 9mm mouse encoder/decoder is recommended with good longevity.
wheel encoder.jpg
wheel encoder.jpg (51.98 KiB) Viewed 59916 times
DerKomtur

Post by DerKomtur »

Hallo.
Nach 1,5 Jahren hat sich auf jeder Seite am hinteren Ende die seitliche Gummiabdeckung gelöst.
Eigentlich wird die Maus nur 2-3h am Tag benutzt.

Hätte ich in der Preisklasse weniger angenommen.....

Achim
DerKomtur

Post by DerKomtur »

Hallo.
Nach 1,5 Jahren hat sich auf jeder Seite am hinteren Ende die seitliche Gummiabdeckung gelöst.
Eigentlich wird die Maus nur 2-3h am Tag benutzt.

Hätte ich in der Preisklasse weniger angenommen.....

Achim
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hallo Achim,

bitte wende Dich an unser Team vom Technischen Support. Sie werden den RMA Prozess für Dich in die Wege leiten.